junglecock02t.jpg
Good quality Jungle Cock Feather
The best quality jungle cock feathers are expensive. Used
mostly with show quality flies.

junglecock07split02t.jpg
Jungle Cock nails with multiple splits. These low quality
jungle cock nails would be used for flies meant for fishing
and that will be abused.

I have never seen a perfect JC skin. There are always feathers with splits. These feathers can be repaired.

Yeah, the color of the nails is actually more important than the split/unsplit ratio, as long as the splits aren't excessive. The cape I'm using doesn't seem to have any unsplit nails, in usable sizes, but it has pretty good color. I just use it for fishing flies, though, so I'm not too concerned with the splits.

I purchase my first JC cape for like $190 after tax from a fly shop (A Grade) because I could not find any at the time locally and did not know any better...it is a beautiful cape, the majority of the nails un split but after tying flies with it I made the decision to purchase a much lower quality cape that is on route for $40 for fishing flies...I plan to keep the A grade cape for "show" flies when my tying skills improve...but spending that amount of money on some feathers that go onto a hook and end up in a tree, snagged in the rocks, or ripped off after a single salmon/steelhead hits your fly seems crazy. Luckily that $190 that I purchased my first cape with came from winnings at a poker table so it does not sting as bad to come to the realization that I grossly overpaid for something that I did not really need.

In the picture hairwing posted of the two nails with splits, the top nail split down the centre is perfect for nymphs or buzzer cheeks. That one nail does left and right for one fly so it also helps your money stretch when you look at nails per fly per cape.

I hope everybody understands that JC nails are for fly tyer and fly fishermans eye enjoyment alone and will not be necessary on a fly pattern to catch more fish !

I bought my cape to match historical fly pattern requirements only.

Save your money unless you want to tie flies to pass on to your grandkids the original fly recipes for posterity.

I subscribe to the theory that real JC nails can in fact make a pattern more effective in certain situations and catch more fish.

For one the arrangement of JC eyes on many intruder and salmon/steelhead patterns give the illusion of eyes giving the predatory fish something to hone in on and slam. As well the reflective qualities of the nail reflect light and UV rays from above the water which could make a real difference in species like salmon say.

There are 2 sellers (andyg640, moryachok) on ebay from Estonia with 100% ratings offering Jungle Cock capes. Which seller are people talking about?

With the split nails (since I fish all my flies) I run it over the top of the dubbing wax. It puts it back together nicely.

I rekon jc is like bacon, it makes everything better :)

JC definately makes flies glow in the water. It is one of the natural materials that reflects UV really well. Some guides in Scotland will pull the JC off a fly if they think the waters too clear or fish too shy as it is thought it puts them off.