Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PAPA VV

Estonian Jungle Cock Skins on Ebay

Hi,

Have been noticing a lot of jungle cock skins on EBAY from someone in Estonia. I did a search here on the forum and noticed some guys have bought jungle cock on Ebay with some satisfaction. But has anybody bought from the Estonian seller and been satisfied with their purchase? Is it even legal to purchase from that site? I am a newbie and really looking for practice materials before I get into quality ties. Also looking for a good place to purchase a silver pheasant skin. Thanks for your help

PAPA VV

i would practice using starling feathers as a substitute for jungle cock before shelling out big bucks.

you have no location in your profile so we dont know if you live in the USA or on the moon :dunno:

I don't think it wise to bid/purchase JC on eBay unless you have had previous satisfactory transactions with the seller. Prices for a JC skin run from about $40 to $350! The quality of the capes range from very poor to extremely good. But you don't always get what you pay for. When possible, examine the skin before buying. If you can't fondle the feathers yourself buy from a company or individual you trust. Or get some recommendations from fellow tyers. If you gamble on eBay you should be prepared to be either disappointed or pleasantly surprised.

Your chances of buing a silver pheasant skin are very low unless it has been around for a while or the bird was grown in the US. Bird flu has kept those hides out of the country. You can buy strung feathers, check with your local fly shop.

Hey Papa, I can only tell you my experience with the Estonian seller on ebay. I bought a very decent neck for a very decent

price. Shipping is reasonable, though it takes a couple weeks to arrive. PM me if you want more info.

The seller has AWESOME feedback and a lot of it from different buyers. I would not be in the least bit worried to buy from him (if I needed any JC). Prices are great also.

I have checked out his capes off and on for about a year and a half; but have not purchased from him (I don't use the feathers). One thing I have noticed about his capes in his photos is the intense orange color of the 'eyes'; which is decidedly lacking in the pictures of the capes offered by one north eastern supplier. Supposedly, the fewer the split feathers on the cape, the better the quality, so, study the photos carefully and bid accordingly.

Chers,

perchjerker.

I bought a very nice cape from him about 6 months ago. It was delivered as advertised in about 2 weeks, as Mike noted.

In order to make my best choice, I downloaded his enlarged photos at ebay. Since his photos are sideways,

I opened the pics in my photo viewing software (ACDSEE), and turned each one so the neck is viewed upright.

I could then zoom in to look for feather shape and quality, plus see how many splits (almost no JC neck has

NO splits). It's a good way to examine and compare the necks.

Btw, I just bought another neck from him. It'll be here in about two weeks. :D

I bought my last two capes by e.Bay, but from British seller and trying to get nice quality neck, result I got very good prducts that I used for my classic salmon flies. If you inspect quite the well the photos, probably you will be able to select a good product.

Ciao

Luca

I don't think ebay is at all like it used to be. I bought a few things recently ( not jungle cock) and was pleased with all of it. If they sell junk it will show in their feedback. Most sellers now let you return an item if you're not happy. I'm sure ripoffs and scams still happen on eBay just not as much.

I bought a cheap cape that was decent quality for a ridiculously cheap price. The cape had numerous splits but I fix those with super glue. I'm not tying anything that's going in a frame, and fishing in the salt the flies tend to get mangled anyway so the cheap cape worked well for me. The cape is exactly as advertised and he ships promptly, as the others noted

As Agn says for fishing the feathers soon end up mangled (you hope) so spending big money on a perfect cape is a bit daft unless you are trying to sell on the flies. Split nails are also great for trout flies like nymphs or buzzers where one nail makes the left and right side.