Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

fall largemouth

usually once the temperatures start to drop after summer is when i slow down on fishing and start getting ready for hunting. well i want to get out and catch some more bass, but i never really fish bass in the fall. so i have a few questions. if you guys could help me it would be great.

the water temp around here is about 60 degrees. air temps are around 65-70 during the day and 45-55 at night.

i know shad flies are good but any particular ones?

what kind of presentation?

were should i be looking for the bass?

what other flies should i try?

slow and deep....target lily pad areas and weed beds that are still green and alive....I fish a full sink line this time of year with big clousers, half and halfs, leeches......60 degrees should put them in a feeding mode....especially if it's sunny outside and the water warms a little...

:yahoo: Just finished two days of great small pond fly fishing. As with all fishing nothing is for certain. I agree with the weedbeds and the line. Big streamers are best. Like the clouser mentioned. I add color such as Reds, Oranges or Yellows this time of year. The addition of these colors work in any combination. I fish the line at various speeds. See what the fish want. I do best on windy partly cloudy days in the fall. When the sun comes out for short times the fish usually turn on. Fishing this time of year can be great.

slow and deep....target lily pad areas and weed beds that are still green and alive....I fish a full sink line this time of year with big clousers, half and halfs, leeches......60 degrees should put them in a feeding mode....especially if it's sunny outside and the water warms a little...

As with all fishing nothing is for certain. I agree with the weedbeds and the line. Big streamers are best. Like the clouser mentioned. I add color such as Reds, Oranges or Yellows this time of year. The addition of these colors work in any combination. I fish the line at various speeds. See what the fish want. I do best on windy partly cloudy days in the fall. When the sun comes out for short times the fish usually turn on. Fishing this time of year can be great

Second that!!! But if you can find black bottom on a sunny day keep in mind that the water temp there will increase fast. Also never give up on big craws on the bottom. They move slower in this cooler water but do not hibernate till the 40s.

As with all fishing nothing is for certain. I agree with the weedbeds and the line. Big streamers are best. Like the clouser mentioned. I add color such as Reds, Oranges or Yellows this time of year. The addition of these colors work in any combination. I fish the line at various speeds. See what the fish want. I do best on windy partly cloudy days in the fall. When the sun comes out for short times the fish usually turn on. Fishing this time of year can be great

Second that!!! But if you can find black bottom on a sunny day keep in mind that the water temp there will increase fast. Also never give up on big craws on the bottom. They move slower in this cooler water but do not hibernate till the 40s.

Third That!

4th it!!

For nice largemouths I fish along the cat tails. Like they said, Bounce a little crawfish or baitfish along any cover and you should get a strike. I had a nice largemouth strike on a streamer I tied yesterday. Check it out here... http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=55004 My wrist is broken so I didn't fish long though.

ive been trying all this on a new pond for the past 4 days and havnt caught anything but one gill on a clouser. im thinkin the pond may have started turning over, the water is reall muddy, only about a foot of visibility. thats the only thing i can think of why they arent biting. but today we have winds up to 60 mph so hopefully that will stir the pond up and get the turnover done with. drove by it today and it was white capping lol.