Fly Tying
flyfishing99

What Bobbin You Use - Ever use this type??

post-29215-1288335958_thumb.jpg

It is so easy to load the thread. If you look closely, you will see there is a very short "throat" at the top.

Beats sucking the thread up a long tube or using a threading device.

flyfishing99.blogspot.com

post-29215-1288335962_thumb.jpg

I've never used that type. I like the weight and smoothness of Tiemco ceramic bobbins. I have some Dr. Slick's too but they feel a little light to me.

looks like the old wishbone type bobbin. Don't waste your money on those. tears up the thread all the time.

Mike

arent most bobbin holders the wishbone type?

i like the tiemco ceramic bobbin holders and the recent marc petitjean bobbin holder

I meant to say they're very similar to the old Dorian Bobbin I believe which are referred to now as a "Wishbone" bobbin by retails.

Mike

I use the original Frank Matarelli wire frame bobbin holders. Frank being the man that actually invented the use of wire to form the legs of a fly tying bobbin holder. Lately, I have changed over to mostly the Rite brand bobbin holders as they allow for very easy thread tension adjustment which is convenient for many of the in-line rotary techniques described by the Beatty's in their wonderful little book Rotary Fly Tying.

I use an older Matarelli and a Griffin ceramic. I like them both, but the Matarelli is the gold standard for me.

I use an older Matarelli and a Griffin ceramic. I like them both, but the Matarelli is the gold standard for me.

Go Ducks!

You owe me big time!

I went to Missouri and we took Oklahoma out for you

I also like the CF Design bobbin. Good to get all of your reasoned comments about your bobbins.

Thanks

JohnP,

I whole heartedly agree. Matarelli bobbin holders are the gold standard. I have used them for over 30 years and have never had a problem with any of the over 3 dozen of them I have.

I use the rite bobbins - because of the feel, not the adjustable tension. That's just a gimmick. In my opinion, you should adjust the tension on the run with your palm. You should control the tension, not your bobbin. I just set the tension on the bobbin so the thread doesn't come off the spool while it's hanging there.

That bobbin just looks like a thread shredder. I don't think I would use it or anything designed like it.

How did you conclude that??

I've used all kinds and like this the best. Never shreds my thread