Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TotallyFlyTying

Hares ear Nymph

It will fish fine, but in my opinion the proportiond are off a bit. Body should go to 1/2 way point and then tie in wing case, followed by a thicker abdomen

HI,

It fishes fine!

I've had more fish on my tie that ones i have bought.

~David

So there.

lol was just thinking that if it cathes fish why worry about proportion

Looks like a winner to me. That's what is discouraging to me about fly tying and fly fishing in general. Seems like some worry more about flies being picture perfect, and the fly casting tecniques being second to none. I'm not good with either and hate the stares and the snickers from folks when I'm attempting to fly fish. But, if you have faith in a fly you tied and it catches fish, that beats all !!

It is however a "Fly Tying Forum" and in the spirit of those who enjoy the fine details a properly tied fly, I agree with Bruce. The "Hare's Ear Nymph" is a well established pattern with specific methods and proportions. I could wrap a clump of pheasant tail fibers on a hook and attach them with a bow tie and could probably catch fish with it but it wouldn't be a properly tied "pheasant tail nymph".

I'll withdraw my post and wish I had not gotten involved. This discussion is starting to sound too much like the kind of stuff that happens on other web sites. I apologize if I offended anyone. Tie any fly any way you want, and call it whatever you want. It's all good.

Nothing wrong with friendly advice. On the other hand not everyone is an expert either. My post was not pointing fingers at anyone on the forum, just rather bummed at the "Expert" fly fishermen on my local waters that I have encountered. You are shunned if you don't have the bling. I don't think a high priced rod and reel or a perfectly proportioned fly will catch anymore fish than a basic outfit and "good enough" fly. This attitude is rarely seen on lakes while fishing for bass or catfish. Go to a trout stream and it's all competition. The main goal for me is catching a fish. Maybe I should not wander from the beginners forum.

<_< I agree with Bruce and the Old Hat. But we all have to start some place. Is That right or wrong Guy's?

Absolutely, I know my first couple of fly's were not that great and I got a lot of good advice on here from some great people. I don't think anyone should take offense to any of the advice given. Just know that fish don't care much as long as it is close but by posting it on a fly tying forum you will get advice how to make it more "perfect" and that is ok too. :yahoo:

I think that Bruce D may have mispoken when he said "thicker abdomen." I would say the thorax area of this and other nymphs should be thicker than the abdomen. The presence or absence of a wing case, and exact proportion of the body covered is open to interpretation.

I've always thought the purpose of this forum was to disperse information and advice on tying. I agree that one may catch fish on a less than perfect fly (I do it all the time), but I would hope that the advice or constructive critisism given here is taken in the manner it was given.

By the way, I REALLY agree with learnin to fly on the subject of "bling" (good word). At our Boy Scout summer camp, they hired a guy who owns a fly shop to teach the Flyfishing Merit Badge, which is strictly an introduction to fly fishing. He was telling the boys they NEEDED a $700 rod and a $400 reel to get going in flyfishing! One of my pet peeves. A $20 rod and reel from K-Mart will catch fish. IT'S THE OPERATOR!

GOOD GRIEF! IT'S JUST ANOTHER WAY TO FISH, it's not some mystical, secret, activity of the rich and famous.

Stepping down from soapbox now.

I agree with Chase Creek. I catch plenty of fish on the $25 fly rod I bought 25 years ago, and my fly reel is the same Pflueger Medalist I have been using for 35 years. Now, if somebody can afford to purchase fine equipment and it brings them pleasure to use it, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But you certainly don't need a $400 rod or $200 reel to catch fish.