Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

DDH Leech variants

Hey everyone, i was looking around and found this great pattern which seems to have a great catch history, but the only thing is im limited on dubbing types, and dont have the home made dubbing used to make the original pattern, has anyone tried this pattern using other dubbings?

you can tie this pattern with just about any of the popular synthetic , or natural, dubbings out there, i.e. Ice Dub, Haretron, Krystal Dub ... etc.

Mix up your own with other dubbing materials to get the color you want. The main thing I've found tying these patterns is to tie the dubbing in a dub loop very thick, then brush it out with a Velcro brush, dub brush or other means. You want a fairly thick & heavy body. I tied a few up last season using Black Fox mixed with Lite-Brite dubbing and they worked really well.

This is one the great things about fly tying, coming up with your own variations to great patterns like this.

Mike

Hi Druce

I have tied hundreds of these pattern. What I use are the fibers from a rabbit strip and mix it with Ice dub or Diamond Dub Holographic (DDH) Fibers. Seeing that your from Canada it souldn't be to hard to find Great Canadian Dubbing by Superfly.

Photos

(I don't use Bead Chain anymore)

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_4874-1.jpg

So i managed to find some good dubbing, it came in the forum of dog hair on my way to work i found this great very tough single strand type dog hair, the hairs are corse and in my eyes are great for making versions that push alot of water. :headbang:

As Wellman mentioned, the original pattern uses Diamond Dub Holographic sold in Canada by Superfly which is not sold as such in the U.S.(I contacted Superfly.) A member of my local club lives in Canada part of the year, so I was able to obtain a supply.

As Mickalo mentioned, Ice Dub is a good substitute for DDH Dubbing. I purchased a pack of Ice Dub for comparison and the two dubs appear about as close to identical as possible. As far as I can tell, they are the same material just sold under a different name.

The fly's creator(having tried other furs) uses the longest rabbit fibers he can obtain and often blends several colors to obtain a desired color. The blends seem to be more effective than a single pure color. As he and others have noted, nature's creatures tend to not have a single pure color to them.

Hello Im new here, so please go easy on me

I cant make the recepie out,

Correct me if I m Wrong,

The tail is Marabou, and the body is made from dog hair mix with dubbing, and that is then put in a loop and with a pice of velcro is pull out?

Hello Im new here, so please go easy on me

I cant make the recepie out,

Correct me if I m Wrong,

The tail is Marabou, and the body is made from dog hair mix with dubbing, and that is then put in a loop and with a pice of velcro is pull out?

The original fly has a marabou tail and bead chain eyes.

The body is formed using a dubbing brush made of long rabbit fiber rabbit fur mixed with either Diamond Dub Holographic or Holographic Ice Dubbing palmered from where the marabou is tied up to the bead chain eyes. The dubbing rope is then "figure 8ed" around the eyes and once in front of the eyes. The dubbing rope is then tied off right behind the hook eye.

Some sort of dubbing teaser is used to pick out the dubbing.