Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

My wife doesn't understand

So my wife and I were driving around on Saturday. We came around a corner to a stop sign and right in the middle of the street was a dead racoon. Thing is the fur was in perfect condition. I was almost salivating at the idea of taking this thing home to skin and tan for some good fur for tying. My wife would not allow me to put it in the car. :bugeyes: I had to leave a perfectly good racoon on the side of the road. :wallbash:

What is wrong with women? I could have had one of the most beutiful pelts I have ever seen for free just a little elbow grease. :ripped: I thought about going back when she wasn't with me in the middle fo the night to nab it :ph34r: but she would still get upset probably if I did that. Plus by now I am sure it is too riddled with bugs to be much good.

when I was a boy my grandpa sent me a racoon hide and it was gnarly.I couldnt figure out any patterns to tie and eventually threw it away.on second thought it may have made a nice coon skin hat.

Dude, you should know by now that there are just THINGS which wives won't understand. Fortunately or unfortunately, the things they don't understand vary between wives, and sometimes they even change over time. Thankfully my wife has tolerated a lot of my goofiness for a long time... Wednesday will be 20 years, and a year before that or more. I'm at the point now where it would have to be a really prime piece of roadkill for me to stop and get it... I've seen a lot of really nice raccoons lately around here too- but I just don't feel the need for raccoon fur. No doubt you could make some great flies with it though.

Yeah I know we celebrated 17 years in August. I think if I would have had a bag she might have let me get it. Oh well next time. I am going to post pics of what the taxidermist gave me in a minute you will not believe how much deer hair I have now.

Roadkill can have its caveat......never quite know what nice diseases our furry little friends might be carrying....not to say that this has stopped me from bagging roadkill, but I have passed up quite a few more animals these days.....though I share your pain! I had a golden opportunity to bag a peacock.....it walked right in front of my car while I was on my way home from the lake and I had an ex with me. Instantly I thought "gotcha!" but before my glory was lived, she exclaims "you're not going to hurt that poor thing are you?!" ......needless to say the only peacock I ended up with was bagged by hareline rather than me!

On my first date with my now wife,

I stopped to pick up a road kill deer that was still in good shape for eating!

She helped me load the deer so I new i had a keeper!

Oh it gets better the honey moon was 2 weeks of fly fishing !!

My wife would not allow me . . . she would still get upset . . .

Does she ever allow you to hold the jar?

:wallbash: Walked into that one. :wallbash:

I used to carry a roadkill kit all the time. I picked a grouse on the way to a wedding.

What did you have in that "kit" I would love to make one up and just keep it in my car for when the wife isn't around. :whistle:

Saw a couple of Gobblers running along the road this morning, was real tempted to make a couple of Turkey pies. Not sure if I'd want to explain the dent to the insurance company.