Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Mikes Glassy Minnows and greetings!

post-29540-1289715250_thumb.jpg

Greetings everyone, been busy tying up very quietly over the past year. I feel like sharing a few patterns. Have been stalking this site for a while, and sure got some talent in here.

So just figuring this out, hope its posts ok.

Mikes Glassy Minnows

Size #1 sc15

Leadwraps on the hook shank 0.30 leadfree wire, Tie in a sky blue dubbing brush near the bend of the hook, wind forwards towards the eye of the hook making sure you are covering the lead and most importantly to leave some room to tie in more sparkle at the eye, bushing back as you go, tie off, trim to shape, add layers of EP sparkle all around the fly, mostly on the top and sides i used 'fluoro purple' for this one, tie off, add some sally hansen, clean it up a bit, use a marker to add some spots. (i'll do up a proper recipe for u guys soon)

Main target for this fly was when i spend time in Australia chasing tunas offshore and they are munching small baitfish fussily. In Canada here i am sure it will nail me some smallmouth next season.

*edit*

Sorry, image resize lol

welcome, and great looking flies. They would work great on the flats, especially when the mackerel are feeding on schools of glass minnows.

thanks guys, i'll let u in on a secret..... I have been tying (properly) for about 8 months now. I have tied before when i was 15 (started fly fishing then), but without a vice, so a while ago i bought a kit and learnt the basic patterns and most of all how to whip finish. Since then it has been an absolute hobby, i spend each night researching and working on my ties and expanding my pattern base. I would come here and steal ideas and read all the tips and info which i still do. A resource i couldn't live without, so thankyou! And now u all have to bear with me :P

riffleriversteelheadslayer, steel you say? Yes, i am very interested in evolving this for perhaps that purpose (perhaps remove the black spots). I have lived up here for about 6 years now, but don't have any fly buddies over this side. My BC and Aus buddies usually end up with all my ties. I am going to have to do some image searches for alewife and shiners and do a match. The spots were to exhibit the colouration of juvenile pacific sardines.

try tying it in black back silver white and add like a purple or pink midline

Sweeet, i am going to get onto this, have the materials and a few pictures, might try a 1/0 alewife black back with white and silver, add some fluoro purple as a lateral line...Cheers for the hints thats purfect! i like any hints or ideas to match the local baitfish. Have another one i matched up at Lake of the Woods, the minnows were very brown on the back almost looking like a creek chub in colour i guess, but they blended into the bottom substrate so well. I'll post that in the next few weeks.

Must go chase some steel soon now that the baitchucking treble hook gang has left.

Nice tie. I really like the use of the sparkle it is not over done at all and really adds to the patter. I wonder if you add just a tiny bit of red to make it look "bleeding" if that wouldn't also add to the attraction of this great patter.