Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bgause1

Why I Love Craft Stores

Went to Hobby Lobby today. Just walking around. Ended up picking up a pack of 2mm foam, the same stuff as fly foam. 50 sheets, 25 colors each sheet 8.5 inches x 5.5 inches. All for $2.70. Ive picked up glass beads and wire there for crazy cheap too. They were pretty much out of feathers. What they did have looked meh anyway.

post-18649-1290803456_thumb.jpg

I've picked up a stack of that foam too. Got it at Wal-Mart, other than foam, the local Wally World is lacking in craft supplies. Looks like I'll have to make a stop by Hobby Lobby and see what treasures I can find there.

Good Day,

My local Hobby Lobby also carries thicker 3mm foam. Great for larger patterns.

Steelie

They had some huge sheets of 3mm foam in a few different colors. I had a few in my hand at first but put them back. They are only like a $1 at regular price for a piece that is bigger than a standard piece of paper. I will probably pick some up at some point. Especially if I keep doing gurglers. I'd love to find a multi pack like the one I just got but in 3mm. That would be sweet. They also had whole sheets of adhesive backed foam. Limited to only like black and white and maybe a brown. Im sure I may pick up some of that too. Need to explore some other isles too and see what I can find.

Taking the time to browse all of the aisles in either Hobby Lobby or Michael's is time well spent. You can find raffia(Swiss straw) in the dried floral area; doll eyes, Kreinicks threads (it makes great bodies), holographic mylar tubing in the fabric section, etc., etc. The list could go on and on, but I will let you compile your own list of items that have use to the fly tier that are to be found in the fabric and craft stores.

A widely known, and highly regarded, Central Texas guide, Kevin Hutchison, does a great program on "Fly Tying from the Craft Store". Well worth the price of admission if you ever has the opportunity to catch it.

perchjerker

Taking the time to browse all of the aisles in either Hobby Lobby or Michael's is time well spent. You can find raffia(Swiss straw) in the dried floral area; doll eyes, Kreinicks threads (it makes great bodies), holographic mylar tubing in the fabric section, etc., etc. The list could go on and on, but I will let you compile your own list of items that have use to the fly tier that are to be found in the fabric and craft stores.

A widely known, and highly regarded, Central Texas guide, Kevin Hutchison, does a great program on "Fly Tying from the Craft Store". Well worth the price of admission if you ever has the opportunity to catch it.

perchjerker

Oh going to have to look for the swiss straw. i did see some leather strips that would work great for like mouse tails and such. Filed that away in the brain for later.

Hobby Lobby also carries full rabbit skins. The colors are usually natural colors, but you can cut your own zonker strips and have a good supply of dubbing too.

Michael's and JoAnn fabrics have tons of things to tye with. I've managed to get my glitter foam, prisma pens and golden pheasant tail (floral section) they usually have a centerpiece thing with a bunch of pheasant, ostrich ,peacock or goose biots and if the color is good enough, i just deconstruct them. They also have balsa and those awesome little plastic bags that help keep streamers nice and pristine until you use them.

Yes Craft stores are the best you never know what ou are going to come out of there with.

And you wonder why your local fly shops are closing ??

So wait let me understand. We are supposed to pay the ridiculous prices they charge for foam just so they will stay open. Sorry but when you have 6 kids to feed I will save money wherever possible and if that means buying material that originally was only in a hobby or craft store then I will.

heading to my local one here this afternoon and hopefully pick up a good assortment of foam

I do feel for the tying shops. But yeah. Im a graduate student right now (studying fisheries no less). I pay fees, rent, utlities, a car payment, car insurance, food, gas etc on what amounts to poverty level income. I get about 1300 a month right now and a vast majority of that goes to neccessities. So when I get the chance to buy something cheap I will take it. Dont get me wrong. I still use Jstockard and other online sites and I still visit my old fly shop back in Indiana when I am home for holidays but I dont buy nearly as much as I used to because even with the friend prices they give me its still expensive. Craft stores are great for some things and when they have sales its even better. And Hobby Lobby has had something Ive wanted on sale everytime Ive gone.