Fly Tying
TheCream

Baby crappie

Most of the local Ohio lakes I fish have large crappie populations, a few of them have tons of small crappies (at least that's all I ever catch), so I wanted a pattern to immitate a small crappie that Mr. Bass might find appealing. Here's what I came up with:

dsc0412c.th.jpg

Recipe I went with:

-Hook: Mustad 3366 #2

-Thread: 70 denier Ultra Thread, white

-Tail: white marabou

-Tail flash: silver Flashabou

-Body: mix of white crosscut zonker and silver holographic Ice Dub (clamped together, spun in dubbing loop)

-Wing: white barred rabbit strip, punctured over hook and tied in near head

-Collar: Lazer Dub (black on top, red/white on belly)

-Cheeks: teal flank feathers

-Head: Medium silver Fish Skull

Nice fly! You have a winner. I love grizzly and teal on just about anything. They are two of my favorites for sure. Your fly looks like a goody to me!

It is hard to see in the small picture and I dislike having to go to another site to view it larger. But from what I can see it looks like a killer. Great job

It is hard to see in the small picture and I dislike having to go to another site to view it larger. But from what I can see it looks like a killer. Great job

I agree, but I dislike even more the two different trojan viruses that I got from Photobucket earlier this year! :wallbash:

OUCH!!! Never was a photobucket fan. The fly looks great!! Did that hair come grizzly or did you use a marker?

OUCH!!! Never was a photobucket fan. The fly looks great!! Did that hair come grizzly or did you use a marker?

This was bought in the grizzly/barred color. Does rabbit strip take marker well? I've never tried that with rabbit strip.

Rabbit does not usually take marker well, It tends to gunk it up and make the hair lose some of its wiggle...however, you still can barr the flies with your pens. Make the markings that you wish to have and let it dry completely (1-2hrs) Then add a drop or 2 of laundry detergent to a large glass of water that is warm (not too hot, it'll ruin the fur) Swish it around really good, working the strip in the process....immediately extract and dry in paper towels. After the fly has fully dried it should have its natural wiggle and your colors should be there somewhat.

Great tie.....Would be a smash fly for white bass in the jumps of the river this spring as well! Very nice submission!