Fly Tying
orion

Worst accident happened while fly tying

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what is your worst accident happened while fly tying? I didn't found same kind of topic here. What have happened to me is that I have spilled varnish around my table as many times as I can count, I have scratched my hand many times to a tube fly-tying needle and so on. What is your worst fly tying accident ?

I am from Finland, so my english is what it is... Sorry about that!

Guest rich mc

not very drastic but a real pain i was reorganizing all my material on the dining room table every inch was covered my wife came home and said turn on the light, and she turnedthe fan light on with the fan on HIGH . it looked like a pillow fight went on. then our four dogs came to see what they could munch on. rich mc

Well I was cutting something for some reason I don't remember. But I had actual scissors and I was cutting and the blades cut off a piece of skin the size of my knuckle... It was bad and I think I was cutting cardboard to mix epoxy on. But yeah other then that, I had a carry case when I would take classes for fly tying, I would bring my tools, and the materials needed for that lesson, well my bottle of varnish opened up and yeah all my materials I had on were destroyed l, not to mention a few tools.

I was applying a drop of CA glue to a length of thread to finish tying in a clump of squirrel tail hair and the tip of the glue bottle snagged the thread as I was dabbing the glue to the thread and it plucked the thread like a guitar string and CA glue flung off the string on to my eyeball. I tried washing it out and could not. The dried CA glue on my eye would scratch the inside of my eyelid. I had to wear an eyepatch for a couple days to prevent from blinking my eye. Talk about a quick accident - it happened in less than a blink of an eye.

Kirk

Trying to pack deer hair, my hand slipped and I impaled my thumb well past the barb of the hook. Luckily I'd already smashed it. Still it bled for quite a while.

On another occasion I spilled a box of different sized and types hooks and the box had 21 different compartments. Fortunately it was on a hardwood floor. It took many hours to sort the hooks and a magnifying glass was necessary for some of them.

I was fishing a lake I usually do every spring and the parking area is on a hill that drops off 4 feet directly into the lake its kind of a rural pull off no gaurd rails or cables or anything anyways it started raining a bit harder then I like to stand and fish in so I went to my car which was an 81 chevette 4 speed on the floor well I started tying up some big musky flies as I was pulling down on the thread to tighten up the streamer hair my bench slid and knocked the car out of gear resulting in it rolling off the drop off into the lake getting me my and my engine getting wet costed me $200 to get a tow truck to fish my car out of the lake and another $200 to dry the engine out and get it running again but I did manage to finish the fly and catch a nice 38 inch Musky needless to say I only drive automatics fishing now

I was fishing a lake I usually do every spring and the parking area is on a hill that drops off 4 feet directly into the lake its kind of a rural pull off no gaurd rails or cables or anything anyways it started raining a bit harder then I like to stand and fish in so I went to my car which was an 81 chevette 4 speed on the floor well I started tying up some big musky flies as I was pulling down on the thread to tighten up the streamer hair my bench slid and knocked the car out of gear resulting in it rolling off the drop off into the lake getting me my and my engine getting wet costed me $200 to get a tow truck to fish my car out of the lake and another $200 to dry the engine out and get it running again but I did manage to finish the fly and catch a nice 38 inch Musky needless to say I only drive automatics fishing now

I refuse to laugh...I refuse to laugh...I re....awww heck I can't help it :hyst: ...especially the" I only drive automatics fishing now" phrase. Sorry RRSS, but I guess you win the worst accident contest... :thumbsup:

Biggest accident? I fell in love at my desk, and boy has my wife been pissed about it at times. But the feathers, the fur, all the pretty colors, I just can't get enough of tying. Not quite as cuddly as my wife on a cold night, but not nearly the lip and attitude and always happy to see me when I get home.

Deeky

I think the worst was after cleaning off my desk after tying one day i realized i lost a hook. Not finding it i figured it was lost and moved on. Later after going out to spotlight deer for a survey for class i felt a tug in my side and thought it was a stick. then it got worse and worse and i felt the area and found a size 12 hook in my side. it was there for over 6 hours till i could find a pair of pliers to pull the hook out

When I was single and living in an apartment, I had one entire bedroom dedicated to tying. I had spilled a box of 3/0 stainless saltwater hooks in the carpet one night. I thought I had picked all of them up and retired for the evening. Three weeks later, right after the end of a 16 hr shift at a factory, I sat down to tie flies in my favorite Grateful Dead t shirt, a pair of "Louie" the lizard (Budweiser) boxers, and my blown out old U K flip flops. The phone rings. I stand to answer the phone and buried one of those hooks straight to the bend, dead center of my big toe on my right foot. The pain was incredible. I tried to force the hook through, just like I had been taught to do in the Boy Scouts, only to discover the hook was point up and trying to come through the top of my toe from under the nail. I managed to drive , with my left foot, to the local ER and a young surgeon graciously cut it out for me. He giggled the whole time. I guess it would have been less amusing for him if I had taken the time to put my pants on. At 4 in the morning with a 3/0 stainless hanging out of your toe, pants are the last thing you're thinking about! I kept the hook. It hangs on the lamp on my fly tying desk as a sentimental reminder of that unpleasant morning.

gvien enough time, you'll do something foolish while at the bench...like the time I superglued my glasses to my eyebrows....no even going to explain that one...

i poked me pretty deep cleaning my bodkin "knocks on wood" but hopefully that is it.

I replied to a pm from sage8wt. Biggest mistake of my life what a tool! And MY GOSH IS HIS OL'LADY FAT!!!!! 800 pounds easy!