Fly Tying
Gaddy

Razor Blades

stonefly is the company that made it. From what I have read their stuff is really crappy but it was a cool idea

hair%20trimmer.jpg

does anyone know the company that makes the tool that holds the razor when cutting?

I have a Stonefly hair trimmer, got it at Cabelas for about $6. It works OK, safer than holding a blade on the sides, but it can't do everything so I also do some trimming with a naked blade too.

Tom

stonefly is the company that made it. From what I have read their stuff is really crappy but it was a cool idea

Oh, I don't know . . . . they make this hair stacker that I've preferred above all others I've tried -- you can see if the hair tips are aligned due to the space between the bottom of the tube and the base, and I really like how the tube pivots out when you want to take the hair out:

stfly-hair-stacker.jpg

I haven't tried any of their other tools, which as you say may not be very good.

-- Mike

Jeremy:

The razor blades are more often used for final "touch-up" trimming.; though some do use them to shape the body. I too first use scissors.

perchjerker

Funny thing is I tied commercially for 20yrs and did tons and tons of deer hair bugs and what not and never touched them with a razer blade!! Just shows we can all learn!!

I made a razor blade holder from a couple of old pill bottles. I cut the bottems out of both, the top edge out of one, and slit that one down the tube. Slide a blade in the unspit bottle,and slide the slit bottle inside to hold the blade in place. When the blades get dull, its easy to replace them or turn them arround. Different size pill bottles will give you different curves.

If anyone is intrested, I can take a picture or two.

I'd like to see a pic of that for sure, i tie ALOT of deer hair salmon bugs/bombers and would definitely like to try the blades for trimming.

I'd like to see a pic of that for sure, i tie ALOT of deer hair salmon bugs/bombers and would definitely like to try the blades for trimming.

So would I. Sounds like a good setup but I can't quite picture in my mind how you are doing it.

Dave

I made a razor blade holder from a couple of old pill bottles. I cut the bottems out of both, the top edge out of one, and slit that one down the tube. Slide a blade in the unspit bottle,and slide the slit bottle inside to hold the blade in place. When the blades get dull, its easy to replace them or turn them arround. Different size pill bottles will give you different curves.

If anyone is intrested, I can take a picture or two.

Yes pictures are worth a 1000 words, so they say. I can't picture it either.

I never thought of looking in the shaving section at walmart I kept look at Menards and Lowes for the right razor blades. Makes sense now why I couldn't really bend the ones I bought. :wallbash:

The old double edged safety razor, that many of us learned to shave with, is largely a thing of the past, because the profit margin was too thin. Now, with all the fancy proprietary shaving heads, replacement blades command a premium price and have obscene margins.

Some of us, though, still have one or two of the old Gillette safety razors laying around which we still use, on occasion. As long as there's still reasonable demand for the blades, someone will carry them.

The old double edged safety razor, that many of us learned to shave with, is largely a thing of the past, because the profit margin was too thin. Now, with all the fancy proprietary shaving heads, replacement blades command a premium price and have obscene margins.

Some of us, though, still have one or two of the old Gillette safety razors laying around which we still use, on occasion. As long as there's still reasonable demand for the blades, someone will carry them.

So lets all run out and buy some so they never stop carrying them. :yahoo:

Here are some pictures of my homemade hair cutters. The orange one is made from two pill bottles. The top edges are cut out of both, and the bottom cut out on just one. The one that has both ends cut off, is then slit. That bottle will not slide down inside the other one to hold the blade between the bottles.

The second (black) cutter is made from a film container. I cut the bottom out, and slit the container. Then I just tape the blade over the rim of the can. With the slit in the can, I can adjust the curve of the blade by opening or closing the can radius. A single pill bottle could be used as well.

Finally, a cutter made from just a pill bottle cap. This cap had both an inner and outter ring, and the blade simply was incerted between them. Be careful putting blades in any of these, its easy to cut yourself.

post-12074-1294338115_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1294338137_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1294338156_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1294338270_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1294338951_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1294338968_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, you can still get a pack of 10 blades at Wal Mart for about $2. With that said, I've seen similar packs sold in drugstores for around $10.

When you've lived long enough, you come to the realization the things you really like or need will eventually be either discontinued or "improved" in some negative way.

I have worried for some time now that these blades have gone out of fashion and may someday disappear from the market, so every time I visit a Wal Mart, I buy a pack. I have quite a stockpile now and my goal is a lifetime supply just in case they stop carrying 'em.