Fly Tying
day5

Skull-n-biones

would look great with a trailer on it and big ass weed guard, anyone tried flipping jig *cough Flies i mean* in heavy cover for brute sized largemouth? Prolly need a fireline leader.

Think i need something like this, nice fly indeed :)

Ahh my wife just saw it and thinks its half of a spinner bait, you could add some wire and a blade for sure :P

would look great with a trailer on it and big ass weed guard, anyone tried flipping jig *cough Flies i mean* in heavy cover for brute sized largemouth? Prolly need a fireline leader.

Think i need something like this, nice fly indeed :)

Ahh my wife just saw it and thinks its half of a spinner bait, you could add some wire and a blade for sure :P

the next evolution is coming.

Day5 I think you just may be the reincarnated soul of the late Tom Nixon. I like the way the bone head covers the thread wraps, I like the look a lot. Tom used to tie a spinner on the front but I couldn't find any pictures other than the one below without the spinner.

Here is an article about Tom and his book, published early 1960's, where he advocates the use of spinners on bass flies and the effectiveness and natural progression of flyfishing for bass with spinners. You may have never heard of Tom and being that he passed away now, you won't get to meet him but I'm sure if he was around, he would love the flies you make.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=902

This is Tom's Calcasieu Pigboat, I think I read somewhere that he fashioned it in the 1950's after the popular spin fisherman's Hawaiin Wiggler.

CalcasieuPig.jpg

Very nice Bass Jig, Day5.

Kirk

Yes I've seen his flies. I wasn't trying to recreate the Pig boat. But rather a Jig.

the flymen guys had a bunch of these at their booth in somerset, most were tied the jig and pig route as they added some rabbit and used jig style hooks. They also had the rattle systems you mentioned, but with the addition of those plastic strand weed guards you see on the spinning gear jigs- I can't stand those weed guards.

Matt....nice work again...I think there are a few of us that push the rules of what would be considered a traditional fly...It looks tied to me...which makes it a fly...I have seen a few ideas such as these out there, there was one that had a blade coming off by a piece of stiff mono like a spinner bait...but the blade was made of crystal flash.....

Yes I've seen his flies. I wasn't trying to recreate the Pig boat. But rather a Jig.

Sorry if you misunderstood me Day5, I don't think I said/wrote that you were trying to recreate the Pigboat. I guess I should have put this under your "lure or fly" post. I posted what I did thinking you would find it interesting that there was a guy over 50 years ago that was creating flyrod lures for bass and catching flack like you and me and many others that have less than traditional beliefs in what a fly is. And that the similarity of your ties to his indicates that you have the like mind of someone that was, as smallie says, pushing the envelope.

I think its a good opportunity to share some history with the younger fly tiers on here about their roots in warmwater flyfishing. So many new fly tiers are not aware of the wheel that we're on where inventive minds of today often unconciously create flies that are recreations of flies from an almost forgotten time when history was recorded in books and often only locally known.

Almost thirty years ago when I began tying hard bodied bugs, I would go crazy shaping different bugs and my mentor, a man 15 yrs. my senior, would look at my stuff and look at me sideways and ask where I got the idea or if I had seen this or that somewhere. When I said, I just came up with it, often he would tell me the story of a local tier that had tied the same odd shape thirty years prior. I found it fascinating that I had the same thoughts of a well respected tier that was before my time.

Anyhow, as I said in closing above, very nice bass jig.

Kirk

Day5 you are the black sheep of the fly tying world lol

Wonderful looking jig man, next you'll need flattops, footballs, and well i guess the sculls are takin care of! great job

I have seen a few ideas such as these out there, there was one that had a blade coming off by a piece of stiff mono like a spinner bait...but the blade was made of crystal flash.....

Sounds familiar... ;)

Matt, great fly. It looks like you and I have been thinking along the same wavelength recently.

Good Day,

Hey Matt! I like the "jig" of your jab... Is this meant to ride hook point up or am I seeing things again? (Bathtub Gin = what....) At any rate I like it! Now if there were only more Ice Dub... ;-) Great work Matt!

Steelie