Fly Tying
MowestFlyfisher

what cameras do you use

Hey everybody i am looking at buying a camera or trying to figure out mine i have now to better suit taking photos of flies the one i have just does not seem to work very well for taking clear photos of close up objects.

I use an Olympus Stylus Tough for the photos I've posted but I'm not overly happy with it. I'm hoping to get a Canon Rebel soon.

Hi MowestFlyfisher,

Until a couple years go when we started using a DSLR we shot all of our fly-macro pix with a Nikon 995 and a Nikon 8700 (CoolPix) cameras; in fact we shot the LaFontaine's Legacy book using them. We are not sure which of the current crop of P&S cameras do a good job but if you are just interested in a camera that does a great job at macro photography you might find one of those mentioned on eBay for a reasonable price. Our on-the-water camera is a Pentax Optio because it shoots a good pic, will survive a dip in the water AND can shoot under the surface as well. Currently we use a Nikon D200 or D300 or a Fugi S3 for all our macro shots.

We're sure some may disagree but we think the most important ingredient of good fly/macro photography is lighting (we use either 3 250 watt B bulbs, a ring light or a ring flash). Even the best camera won't do a good job if the lighting is bad. All that said things like a tripod and camera features run a close second in the order of importance.

Good luck with your camera search and let us know what you decide. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

D300 and agree with Al on lighting. With the right lighting almost any camera will work really well. Sweet light is awesome when you have it :)

I use a D300 or D40 with a 105mm Macro lens. However, I agree with Ty and Al, if you have good lighting, you can use most any camera. In these pics, I'm using two clamp on lights with 60 watt daylight bulbs - those 250 watt bulbs Al uses must be great - over which are grocery bags to diffuse the light somewhat. With the DSLR, I add the flash on top and bounce it off the ceiling.

The P&S shots from the tri-pod in this limited light are fine, setting up by a bright window would be better.

Kirk

CanonSD850Closeup.jpg

NikonD300Closeup.jpg

Something that allows you some manual control over the ISO and such may also be nice. Most cameras have a timer these days, but one that is easy to get to is good to have. Using the timer will make your shots clearer because you are not touching the camera when the picture is take. Image stabilization (IS) or vibration reduction (VR) is also nice for close up shots.

Personally I use a Nikon D60 for my fly shots. I also have a Canon G9 which I am sure woudl do the trick. My Fuji XP is my rugged camera, and I am not sure that I would use it as it is pretty basic.

If you are looking to improve your close up shots an inexpensive tripod will help greatly along with lighting. Lighting need not be expensive. I use my tying lamp which is just a swing arm lamp with a day light bulb and when I am taking fly pics I have a couple of clamp lights I attach to my table.

I do like the idea of the bags to diffuse light. I will have to do that for sure.

Andrew

I use my Pentax Optio W30 for my fishing camera since its waterproof but I also use it for taking pics of my flies.....it has a 'Text' setting that gives excellant macro shots. For everything else I use my Nikon D3000.

i use a point and shoot pentax optio w30 for my fly photography

lighting is important and so is reading the manual to know the settings

i also have a nikon d40 dslr

I use my Nikkon D3000 I picked it up at costco when it was on sale last year. I think it was like 600 bucks. Well worth it. It came in a kit with two lenses (although neither are super great for close ups but they do a very decent job). One of the lenses is a long lens for shooting things far away. I didn't buy this camera for shooting macro stuff however it does a great job. If were to get a macro lens the shots would be far and away better than what I get now.

Again I agree wiht everyone else lighting is everything. You can get great shots with a disposable if you have the right lighting. There is a guy that has a blog that teaches people to use a disposable camera to lean how to take photos before you ever buy a DSLR or expensive camer. Some of the shots he gets with a disposable are amazing. :bugeyes:

Depends on budget and use

Ultimately anything will do. If cost is not an issue and you want the most creative flexibility for shooting fly’s a DSLR is the way to go. However if the camera will serve dual use and/or budget is a concern a point and shoot finds its way in my pack every time and can double on the fly bench

As mentioned, the key to either system is lighting and how to use it.