Fly Tying

Catfish on a Popper...Ouch.

Kirk,

Yes, luckily that was part of the flies that I had photographed Sunday. That is one reason why I don't open any packages until I photograph them. Don't want to lose or have something happen to any of them before I get to take the photos.

The tier of that fly should get a honorable mention or special prize for the contest....fly never intended to be used ends up catching something anyway.

J,

Ralph, "da Judge", is a great guy, but a little hardheaded. As a friend, he's a wonderful man, and his wife is a great lady.

In Texas, Ralph would classified as "a hangin' judge"; he doesn't mess around if you're a crook or a killer. The crooks are off to one of the Texas prison work farms where they are privileged to work in the 100 degree weather tending crops or working cattle under the supervision of mounted guards carrying Winchesters and/or shotguns, courtesy of The State. The murderers are on the fast tract to a gurney and injection. I personally used to like a lot better when they lit 'em up in the chair.

Mike,

To have helped your cat live to 21 years of age is a great accomplishment; not many people can do that. You and your wife are great animal owners. I always love it when I have clients who care for my patients like that!!

On ferrets:

I have one family who has 21 ferrets. They have them as pets and also rescue them. You can imagine what goes on around their house!! :wallbash:

And, I have treated many ferrets. They are a popular and fun pet.

Ray

Ray,

I've always been an animal lover since I was a kid. We had to keep here on fluids, with IV, and B12 shots for the last couple of weeks. That was a new experience for me. But was getting good administering the IV and B12 shots.

But she was just getting to weak and it was her time. Cats do have away of working their way into your heart don't they :)

Mike

Well this one had cost me i think 20 spools of thread and i couldn't keep rabbit or squirrel anything in the same house as him he would try to eat it.his name was Casper(don't let the cute look fool you hes was constantly plotting your doom)He had a nice name the great white hunter he thought he could take down anything.On more than one occasion he jumped in the lake trying to get a goose or a duck.Sadly one day a goose broke his back and he died but he did take the goose with him.post-23765-1295971459_thumb.jpg

post-23765-1295971951_thumb.jpg

Cat has made it home safe and sound, a little pissed off but hookless. She is no worse off for the experience but my wallet feels quite a bit lighter. :blink:

Cat has made it home safe and sound, a little pissed off but hookless. She is no worse off for the experience but my wallet feels quite a bit lighter. :blink:

Yea but they're worth it :)

Mike

SmallieHunter, I hope your cat isn't secretly visiting with PETA looking for some sideline work as a model for their next billboard.

Kirk

DSCN0065Web.gif

I had a 10 week mini Dashund swallow a fly I had dropped, it cost me $800 to fix that problem

I have removed quite a few hooks from dogs stomachs over the years where the owner was fishing for catfish with a hook baited with liver or some other potential dog treat, and the dog bit before the catfish.

Getting the hook out can range from not too difficult to extremely difficult and life threatening for the pet, depending on where the hook is and what it has hooked itself into. Sometimes I can get them with an endoscope and sometimes it takes a few hours of surgery. Most are a challenge!!

Ray

Glad to here this catch and release went well. I sympathize about the wallet, I have way too many pets 2 ferrets, 1 rottie, 4 cats, a rabbit and 5 goats my wallet stays perpetually light.

Our dog, Sassy, a Cocker Spaniel has never bothered any of my fly tying stuff, even if I left it on the floor next to my tying station. That is, until recently. But the other day my wife showed me a pile of feathers she had taken away from Sassy. It turns out that the pile of feathers was originally a coachman brown rooster cape! Now nothing gets left on the floor.

Take care

BB

Usually do not post...just read and learn. But had to add my two bits. I was working for a boat company 11 years ago and the wife and I were trying to move back to Columbus OH after 15 years as a corporate gypsy with Evinrude Outboards. The house is for sale and I am at a Sports Show in MI. The Realtor calls and wants to show the house. OKEY DOKEY...she loads the dog and our youngest daughter into the van and goes to the library around the corner. Leaves Tippy the wonder bichon in the van, as the weather was fine and the library frowned on yappy white dogs.

Long story short, I had been on a musky trip to Lac Courte de Oreilles in WI and still had one of my fav muskie crank baits hanging from the read view mirror. It was a big old heavy wooden mouse with two X 3/0 trebles on it. Not sure how, but Tippy the wonder mutt found a way to get this bait off the rear view mirror and into her back. Then the poor thing got it hooked into one of the floor mats. I get a panicked call from the wife at the show and we work out how to cut off the barb (it had already gone in and back out...so the point was exposed). Fortunately my wife knew where the industrial strength lineman's pliers were in the tool box in the van and while our 9 year old held Tippy down, she cut off the point and barb and backed the hook out the way it went in.

Gives new meaning to matching the hatch, cause every time I see the St Croix Musky Rod ad with the poodle with the funky skirt and the Match the Hatch comment, I think of poor old Tippy (RIP..you were a great dog).

BTW, found out the hair from bichon puppies is awesome to use to replace things like fish hair or yak hair. We always let the puppies hair grow to about 4-8 inches before we groom them for the first time. Used it to tie a couple of nice musky bugger flies!

Tight Loops and Sharp Hooks.

LC