Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnut.

spoons

i'm sorry i can't remember the mag i picked up but it showed how to make spoons out of epoxy using silly putty for a mold. do you folks see this as cheating in fly fishing terms?

i'm sorry i can't remember the mag i picked up but it showed how to make spoons out of epoxy using silly putty for a mold. do you folks see this as cheating in fly fishing terms?

I am almost certain it was fly tyer. From the fall or winter.

hey how funny i was reading that last night i got that mag hell i have know clue if that is cheating but i thought it was a fricken cool idea

Used to be dry fly enthusiasts did not accept nymphs as flies.

As for the molded spoon, a fellow down here did some testing and found the two products activated by light did not hold up and stay on the hook very well after being fished and submerged for some time. Personally, I've never tried it so I can't speak from experience only what I was told.

Kirk

The whole fun of fly fishing is cheating and lying...we lie to fish by tying up little artificial creations that may pass as food if we're good liars. We cheat by studying our mark to gain an intimate understanding of what he will believe and how much we can get away with, and if we're honest about the cheating and lying, we rarely reveal the depth of our deception to others for fear they'll out cheat us, out lie. Unless a good story can be told, and then all bets are off.

So cheat. Lie. Fish have the brains the size of a pencil eraser and will not remember to fault us, unlike people with brains of even similar capacity.

The whole fun of fly fishing is cheating and lying...we lie to fish by tying up little artificial creations that may pass as food if we're good liars. We cheat by studying our mark to gain an intimate understanding of what he will believe and how much we can get away with, and if we're honest about the cheating and lying, we rarely reveal the depth of our deception to others for fear they'll out cheat us, out lie. Unless a good story can be told, and then all bets are off.

So cheat. Lie. Fish have the brains the size of a pencil eraser and will not remember to fault us, unlike people with brains of even similar capacity.

wow, that one found a wonderful little corner in my heart, :cheers:

That is worthy of quoting.

no spoon flys are not cheating! Cheating is when i put on a "SuperDuper" lure with a spot of cheese onto my 6 wt lol.

But you can actually cast a "SuperDuper" quite well with a fly rod!! and they work

no spoon flys are not cheating!

From this, I gather that throwing 4-6 inch plastic worms and lizards with an 8 or 9wt. is cricket! A cohort of mine does this quite regularly for large mouth bass; and tears them up! And he is a commercial guide!

aged sage

Here's a video of Steve Flannagan from San Antonio tying his latest version of the silly putty spoon fly. I'm pretty sure he originated the idea since I first videoed him using this technique almost 3 years ago.

The funny thing about that artical is it was made using Clear Cure Goo. The whole reason it was written was to show how fast and easy you can make a spoon fly using CCG. But as the wonderful world of editors goes the changed it to say epoxy because CCG is not a advertiser of the mag. There is a video of how they did it on clearcuregoo.com

Well...

More accurately, the sections on using Clear Cure Goo were cut for space. The flies in the photos were all tied with epoxy, but I have since made about 99% of them with CCG because it is just easier. Initially I thought epoxy would be more cost-effective but in working out the math, there is so little wastage with CCG that I think they are about even.

I also don't take credit for being the first person to come up with this. Someone on my website mentioned using silly putty as an epoxy mold for spoons and I worked it out on my own. When I had made my spoons and written half the article I found the CCG video on the process. That confirmed my suspicions that I was not the first. I don't know who initially came up with this idea but it's a very good one.

Zach