Fly Tying
RagingBull

Bobbin Question

Hello,

Im still relativly new to fly tying and i have a question about the different styles of bobbins available. I have a couple of the cheap stainless bobbins that cabelas offeres and i was looking to purchase a couple more and i was wondering what exactly does one gain by going with the ceramic tube models over the cheaper stainless bobbins?

If using a stainless steel bobbin over time the thread will where out a grove inside the steel tube, with ceramic inserts they are very strong and will never where out with lots of use. I would get the ceramic insert one over the stainless any day.

Its a matter of personal preference. But i can say, that usually cheap steel, is poorly manufactured and it will cut your thread. I have a number of cheap bobbins and a number of high end bobbins. I would recommend that you give some more expensive ones a try as they are generally better. Its been my experience with cheap ceramic that they tend to be better than cheap steel.

If you buy a bobbin and it cuts your thread take or send it back right away. That is a flaw in the manufacturing.

as far as steel verse ceramic. If the steel is manufactured properly it will be as smooth and even smoother than ceramic.

There are many choices in fly tying. It comes down to personal preference and what you are willing to spend. I still use a bobbin I got 20 years ago in a Cabela's kit. It's fine and with some emery cloth, it works great. I use Tiemco ceramic bobbins now. I also have two Stonfo adjustables but I like the Tiemcos best. The Tiemco's use a full ceramic tube and have brass feet to add some weight to the bobbin. Rite bobbins are also a popular choice of many tyers. Fly tying is an obsession and you can never have enough stuff. Just try every bobbin out there and find the one (or ones) you like best. My search for the best bobbin is over. My search for the best hackle pliers, no that's a different story.

Me 3+. Supposed to shatter like glass.

The flared end SS tubed ones with the ceramic insert apparently do not have this problem. I have several of these, and really like them. Their downside is that the tubes are too long, INHO, for use on small flies. Great for saltwater and bass flies, though.

aged sage

Does everyone's thread go on "flat" like it should? I always struggled with that until I got my C&F Design bobbin. It is perfect for laying thread flat without always having to spin your bobbin counter direction.

Try it and you'll never go back. I think the end is also ceramic. Not sure though. It is white like the ceramic ones.

i have heard that if you drop a ceramic bobbin holder just the right way they will break.

Unfortunately I can confirm this does happen.

I've had a ceramic bobbin crack, creating a nice sharp edge which repeatedly cut the thread in very short order much to my dismay since I don't remember dropping that bobbin. None of the other ceramic insert bobbins I've dropped since cracked or broke pieces off.

Ceramic breaking in the manners told is a bunch of hoopla. I have had many ceramic bobbins for many years with no issues. I have dropped them tons of times with no issue. You will have an issue with them if you catch the hook point. Possibly what happened with yours strippled.