Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Best Fly Tying Travel Bag??

Hi,

I've been looking at a fairly expensive traveling bag for fly tying - about $180.

Sort of pricey.

Wonder if any of you have used these "high-end" bags and what your recommendation might be? I used an Orvis bag for a while but never really liked it.

Please let me know what your personal experience has been.

Thanks

Byron

Byron,

The best has been,best traveling bags were made by JW Outfitters,maybe ebay will have one from time to time.I have two that i use and i have never thought that the price i paid for em was too much.Other option is a a rubbermaid tote.The Fishpond tomahawk is supposed to be ok too. But not since JW Outfitters has there been a decent bag out on the market.

If money is no concern, why not buy the best. I would rather have a Gerstner red oak tool box than any Fishpond Bag for my tying materials.

In my opion the Orivs passge tying bag is great, It holds a lot and is a better value than the Fishpond. But this seams to be a status symbol to you, based on the way you worded your post.

http://alltimetools.com/p-1293-gerstner-re...filiateID=10050

carlp

I've gotten along JUST FINE with no dedicated travel bag for tying. When I'm driving somewhere, I just use either an old laptop shoulder bag, or some rubbermaid containers. If I'm flying, I just pack my tools and materials in my suitcase. I tend to carry a whole bunch of stuff too. $180 buys a LOT of tying materials.

If you have more money than sense, by all means purchase the bag or whatever.

If money is no concern, why not buy the best. I would rather have a Gerstner red oak tool box than any Fishpond Bag for my tying materials.

In my opion the Orivs passge tying bag is great, It holds a lot and is a better value than the Fishpond. But this seams to be a status symbol to you, based on the way you worded your post.

http://alltimetools.com/p-1293-gerstner-re...filiateID=10050

carlp

Not sure what you mean? I live in Hawaii. Therefore, I can no longer take large tying bags as I must fly to my fishing locations. I used a soft Orvis bag before and did not care for it. Am looking for something I can put in my luggage which will hold a bunch of tying materials.

If I can find what I want for $15, I'd buy it!!!

I've gotten along JUST FINE with no dedicated travel bag for tying. When I'm driving somewhere, I just use either an old laptop shoulder bag, or some rubbermaid containers. If I'm flying, I just pack my tools and materials in my suitcase. I tend to carry a whole bunch of stuff too. $180 buys a LOT of tying materials.

If you have more money than sense, by all means purchase the bag or whatever.

I don't get your comment. I said that I thought 180 was a bit pricey. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but looking for some bag I can carry my tying tools and material when I fly to a fishing location.

All of us are different and have different ideas about what is important to us. We can't assume that what is good for us will be good for others. What is "just fine" for you may not be for someone else. It works both ways too.

Take care!

Look at soft brief cases or soft lap top cases. They are usually designed for students or business people so they have pockets on the inside and outside for chargers, pencils, calculators, etc. Most box stores sell them cheap or a better deal may be had at a garage sale or a freecycle kind of operation or thrift store.

Kirk

Interesting discussion. The Fishpond Tomahawk looks like a nice bag, and the discontinued Fishpond Coyote looks like a nice setup also.

For my limited travel I use a Plano soft tackle bag which holds four 'utility boxes', it's probably not the best solution but has been useful. If I travelled more I might be able to justify a different setup, or if I had a better setup I might travel with it more...

I see the tying bag as a tool, and as insurance for any transportable tying supplies :)

a good and fairly cheap method that i have used for years is get a soft tackle bag. One that will hold 3 or 4 3600 series plano boxes. the one that i had would hold 4 boxes which i used a razor to take all of the deviders out of 2 of them for my larger materials of hair and feathers and kept 1 for all of my smaller cards of materials and beads and hooks and such and one for tools, thread and misc. items. it worked great for me and i had about $30 wrapped up in it. Since then my materials list has grown and i now use a fairly good sized plastic tool box. I still use the 3600 series boxes just now i have room for more of them. also cabelas makes a 2 different style 3 ring binders. one which was designed for fishing and one for fly tying. the one for fly tying looks ok but its about $10 more expensive than the one designed as a sort of fishing binder. plus the fishing one has 2 more sleeves in it but it doesnt have the spool sleeve.

here is a link to the fishing binder from cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Tac...%3Bcat104620680

and here is the link for the fly tying binder also from cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly...%3Bcat103890780

hope this helps. Tight lines

$180 buys a LOT of tying materials.

My thoughts exactly. really all a travel bag is for is moving your materials from one place to another. why spend a fortune on a fancy box or bag when you can do it for a fraction of the price and still get the task accomplished.

Hi All;

I have the following bag from BW Sports: http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/merchant...re_Code=flyshop

A lot cheaper, is huge and seem to work quite well so far. A friend saw mine, and also saw the price and bought one too.

Now, all I need is a portable bench that will fit in the outside pocket.

Wayneb

As someone that travels with a ton of tying gear constantly to different shops for demonstartion or classes or to a tying club meeting or shows I have found the best thing i can use is a rolling luggage bag, I went to Tuesday Mornings and bought the biggest one I could find and then moved a large prtion of my materials into Plano boxes I can fit 24 normal size plano boxes in it with 4-5 vises, tools for about 10 people and more materials than 10 of us could use in the same number of years...... Now with that said I am a bit on the extreme side and have a tendancy to get caried away but I get coments on it all the time and absolutely love having it with me just in case someone asks about something specific. Very rarely do I need to go grab something off of the shelf to tie a fly.

Steve

As someone that travels with a ton of tying gear constantly to different shops for demonstartion or classes or to a tying club meeting or shows I have found the best thing i can use is a rolling luggage bag, I went to Tuesday Mornings and bought the biggest one I could find and then moved a large prtion of my materials into Plano boxes I can fit 24 normal size plano boxes in it with 4-5 vises, tools for about 10 people and more materials than 10 of us could use in the same number of years...... Now with that said I am a bit on the extreme side and have a tendancy to get caried away but I get coments on it all the time and absolutely love having it with me just in case someone asks about something specific. Very rarely do I need to go grab something off of the shelf to tie a fly.

Steve

Thanks Steve. My problem is that I live in Hawaii. When I go fly fishing (for trout), I need something that fits in my suitcase and doesn't take up too much room or add too much weight. They charge a lot for extra bags these days!!!!!!!!!!