Fly Tying
Mr. Vegas

Mystery Fly tying material box

I was on the list for one of those boxes, but I don't remember which one. It wasn't #1, but I don't remember if it was #2 or #3. But I got it on the first rotation and have never seen it again. Is it supposed to go around again or does it just keep going on and on to whoever signs up for it? Just wondering.

Take care

Breambuster

Ok, so here's the rundown on who has the boxes as far as this thread reads.

Box 1: fisheyedon

Box 2: Bambuddy

Box 3: Will

Blane,

I'm waiting for a box (perhaps delivered in the next day or two) from eastern fly. When I followed back the chain of posts, it appeared to me that that was (one of the) Box #1. (But I have not got confirmation from eastern fly. I will verify when I receive the box.) I do not know if this is the same Box #1 that was ravaged by customs while trying to get to Canada.

From me, this box will go to EBrant10, then to fishingbobnelson, then to Will. At least, that's what we worked out for the box I will receive. I think the Will for Box #3 above is this same Will? If so, fishingbobnelson won't have sent it since he hasn't received it yet.

Again, I _thought_ I was receiving Box #1 from eastern fly and day now. It will ultimately make it's way to Will. I will confirm the box #.

Jimboha!

I have not received any box as of yet..It is supposed to make it to fishingbobnelson first and then he was going to send it to me..I think it had to go to a couple others before it got to him though..

Update, Box #1 that went to Fisheyedon is probably lost, he has the mystery fly box also, and I am pursuing a way to get them back.

The box going to Will, just left Easternfly, then to Jimboha, then Ebrant, Fishingbobnelson, then Will, that is Box #3.

Bambudday was contacted and is sending Box #2 to me. Breambuster, you are next in line for that if it's alright with you(pm me your info).

I followed the entire thread and kept tabs on where each box went and these are the correct box numbers. When the guys in line get your boxes, if they are too big, it has been suggested that we divide up the boxes into smaller packages or possibly donate some excess to new guys that aren't so financially well off. I would appreciate any input on this since Mr. Vegas hasn't been on in a while I guess I kinda hijacked the job and would love to see these boxes continue to circulate around the members of the forum.

When preparing to send the box to the next in line, please get a contact phone number and try calling it first, a mistake I made when sending it to fisheyedon, the number had been disconnected, and now the group is out about $250 in donated flies and a material box. I have tried to contact him several times and got no response, I've called, and actually contacted a couple of his neighbors to ask if they could pass on a message and the all declined to do it, so I will try and contact the sheriff in his area, to see if he still lives there before pursuing it legally thru the postmaster general. If anyone lives near Bristol VA, it would be great if you could drop by this guy and see if you might be able to retrieve our boxes(pm me if you live in that area please).

Blane

Blane,

Yes, I received the box from eastern fly today. I will label it as Box #3 for future reference. I have already picked what to take out and am now figuring what to put back in. I am trying to choose things that are smaller than what came out, but of comparable value.

I was also able to trial fit the contents into a Priority Medium Flat Rate Box - this will help with the postage. But if it becomes too full, I do think it can be split rather than paying even higher postage (I have to ask myself: could I just go to the store and BUY what I'm getting for the same amount? If so, the swap failed.). But first I think we should cull out some of the plastic bags - I don't think it needs as many as are in it.

Other than that, I can say that this Material Swap has been fun and I might consider getting in line for Box #1 or Box #2 in the future when they 'found'. No rush - just tossing it out there.

Thanks for stepping up to help manage these boxes. It's fun and in a perfect world would be self-managing, but we are all human.

Thank you.

Jimboha!

Box #3 is on it's way to EBrant10. I have PMed him and he is expecting it.

I have possible interest in Box #1 or Box #2 in the future. Would the current or very recent swap box "owners" PM me befoer putting me on the list?

Thank you.

Jimboha!

Jimboa came up with a great idea at to how to possibly make the boxes a little easier to deal with.

A possible thing, still hard to make sure it is understood and done by everyone: number (or date) the contents AS THEY ARE ADDED. When the boxes get too full, remove the OLDEST items first. The rationale: they have survived a long time in the box meaning that no-one wants it. It can be donated, etc, or batched so we remove several and can do whatever with that mini lot. But this way we get keep the box full of potentially interesting stuff and stop shipping the same pheasant body feathers multiple times across the country.

This sounds like a great idea, if anyone else has any other ideas please post so we can get a general consensus on what to do, the boxes are getting large and have duplicates and other stuff that most have or might not want. I say we cut down on some of the less desirable stuff and donate it to a cause or function of some sort, but am open to any other ideas also.

Blane

Jimboa came up with a great idea at to how to possibly make the boxes a little easier to deal with.

A possible thing, still hard to make sure it is understood and done by everyone: number (or date) the contents AS THEY ARE ADDED. When the boxes get too full, remove the OLDEST items first. The rationale: they have survived a long time in the box meaning that no-one wants it. It can be donated, etc, or batched so we remove several and can do whatever with that mini lot. But this way we get keep the box full of potentially interesting stuff and stop shipping the same pheasant body feathers multiple times across the country.

This sounds like a great idea, if anyone else has any other ideas please post so we can get a general consensus on what to do, the boxes are getting large and have duplicates and other stuff that most have or might not want. I say we cut down on some of the less desirable stuff and donate it to a cause or function of some sort, but am open to any other ideas also.

Blane

I love that Idea, there are so many different clubs or new tyers that would use these "old" materials to further teach our hobby!

Blane

I love that Idea, there are so many different clubs or new tyers that would use these "old" materials to further teach our hobby! One that note I would love to get in line as I know there is a list starting for many of these boxes.

Ok, just for an update, one box is headed to Ebrant, and one is headed to me, each of these boxes is going to get a good going thru to help weed out some of the "junk".

The main purpose when this started was to put in neat new stuff, interesting, and not the everyday stuff, not to pass along the stuff that one acquired early on and has no use for. If you want to be apart of the swap, please put stuff in that you yourself would enjoy receiving, not your leftovers, the purge is taking place so that some of the stuff can be donated to a cause or newbie, not to stock up, and also to cut down on the bulk and postage, from what I've heard, there are a lot of duplicate items and it is getting quite bulky. I will try and put some items in that aren't easily gotten or are just strange and let whoever is next try and figure out what to do with them, when you get the box please try and do the same.

When placing an item in the box please identify what it is, either on the item or place it in a ziploc and identify it there, much of the stuff isn't identified and I think it would be a good idea to be able to know what it is that one is taking out of the box, then you can brag about it on here!!! Let's try and keep this interesting and enjoyable for the next person in line, and think about what to put in the box. This was started to be a great joy upon receiving the box, I had that joy once and would love to see it carried on in that spirit. Let's keep the fun in this.

Blane

Hey all, im hoping to send the box to fishingbobnelson sometime next week. Ive been working 80-85 hours a week which leaves little time to run to the PO. Sorry.

Evan

Hey all,

Unfortunately im not going to get to make it to the po today, but we are about cought up with everything so it will be going out monday or tuesday of next week. Sorry i havnt gotten it out any faster.

Evan

Yep Bob, I sent the box today (7/3) so with the holiday I would guess it will be there sometime beginning of the week. Sorry it took so long for me to get this out, things have been absolutely crazy with work. I wasn't expecting it to get quite that hectic or i wouldn't have even bothered with the swap box. Hope you can find something in there to your liking.

Evan