Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokinprice

Hackle for Poppers

So it seems that getting hackle for poppers is becoming a challenge thanks to the fashion industry. I was looking to see what others out there use for the collar on their bass or panfish poppers. I have been using dyed grizzly saddle patches like these:

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/dygrsapa.html

Has anyone ever used schlappen for collars?

For panfish poppers I use the hackle in Whiting 100s Packs.

For bass poppers I used Whiting(different kinds), and some Ewing, Cabelas #1, and Keough still around

from back when.

I also sometimes use Deer Hair and Rabbit Dubbing.

I like the Whiting 100's for small poppers too. I like saddles usually for the length and schlapen is okay but sometime it is just to thick where the fibers don't seperate. Like Stippled, I've used deer body hair spun as well as rabbit and just last night, I was using Angora Goat in a dubbing loop for a skirt.

Kirk

Interesting ideas. I know Sp you and I have talked about this before. I tried Cabelas tonight and they are almost sold out of everything. Seems like this new fashion crazy is really making it tough to find stuff. I have some of the Whiting packs but I couldnt find something I truly loved.

whiting dry fly saddle hackles are not what first comes to mind for poppers.

No it isn't. There are cheaper options. However, for Bream size poppers it works.

Also the basic uniform length of the fibers from base to tip is a plus.

They don't provide the motion to a popper that other hackle might. But for Bream

size poppers rubber hackle will provide this feature.

I guess I'm just cheap...I got a grab bag of feathers I've been making poppers with for about 3 years at cabelas for about 6 bucks.

Hackle on a popper is really only there because that's the way we're used to seeing them. I figure the business ends are the body, mouth, and wiggly legs/ tail. So cheap is good for me. I add hackle to get the color I want, but for me that's all it adds.

...Hackle on a popper is really only there because that's the way we're used to seeing them. I figure the business ends are the body, mouth, and wiggly legs/ tail. So cheap is good for me. I add hackle to get the color I want, but for me that's all it adds.

Well, kind of yes and no. Yes most people use hackle (skirt to me) because that's the way they're used to seeing poppers tied. No in that it is not the only reason it is there. Can a popper head with no skirt catch fish? Sure, but many flies can catch fish with parts of the shank uncovered, especially saltwater poppers and slim minnow imitations such as pencil or mylar poppers. However, on most freshwater popper/slider/diver bugs, that bare shank between the tail and head is a space we use to help dress out the fly.

I think hackle is traditionally used because it was the most common material around. However, the hackle or other material placed on that part of the shank can have differing effects on the action of the fly. Some hackle skirts or even unconventional skirt material can have adverse effects on the performance such as impeding the hook gape while others can make the bug turn over and not float right. Yet other different sized or style hackle can add movement, help balance the fly and provide a pleasing transition between head and tail.

I guess it varies for different fishermen but to me hackle or other material especially on freshwater bugs that are worked slower and are intended to mimic fuller bodied frogs and terrestrial bugs, does indeed contribute to the fly's effectiveness.

Kirk

Here is one where I used some rabbit body fur with a little flash in a dubbing loop to make the skirt.

BubbysPaTaSaGetta-5.jpg

I've been buying cheaper necks and saddles and splitting them then dying them the colors I need. Either grizzly or light easy to dye light colors.

Steve

Kirk:

You missed one possible advantage, especially on bream-size popping bugs; if thick enough, it can conceivably also serve as a snag (weed) guard, or so I have always been led to believe. The same has also been claimed for such collars on bass size poppers and hair bugs. Otherwise, you covered the waterfront quite well!

perchjerker

It's all good. Like I say I often tie the hackle in, too. I just dont break the bank on it. The only thing I use that fancy hackle for is on little tiny dry flies. For everything else the 2 buck chuck works for me.

Anyone else use marabou on popper tails...I know it's used on loads of wet flies. It just moves so well, I often include it, especially on little ones.

Perch, thanks.

Primitive, I guess I should say that I'm not a big spender either. When I stated above I used the Whiting 100's, I was lucky enough to get them for half price. However, I do prefer long narrow saddles for hackling on size #8 and smaller poppers. I'll get the lower grade Metz or other brand dry fly saddles for this, while you may pay $20 for a saddle, you will have enough to skirt hundreds of mini poppers.

Now, on larger bugs, the ultra cheap strung saddles work really well. I wish I could find narrow strung hackle long enough to skirt my smaller bugs. Until then, I'll just buy the cheap low grade dry fly saddles for the small poppers. Although I am growing fond of using dubbing for the smaller popper skirts.

Kirk

Perch, thanks.

Primitive, I guess I should say that I'm not a big spender either. When I stated above I used the Whiting 100's, I was lucky enough to get them for half price. However, I do prefer long narrow saddles for hackling on size #8 and smaller poppers. I'll get the lower grade Metz or other brand dry fly saddles for this, while you may pay $20 for a saddle, you will have enough to skirt hundreds of mini poppers.

Now, on larger bugs, the ultra cheap strung saddles work really well. I wish I could find narrow strung hackle long enough to skirt my smaller bugs. Until then, I'll just buy the cheap low grade dry fly saddles for the small poppers. Although I am growing fond of using dubbing for the smaller popper skirts.

Kirk

Kirk, the dubbing loop for the skirt on that fly looks great. I'll have to give that a try.

I'm also a big believer in that rubber hackle stuff someone mentioned. I've got a few good subsurface patterns it works well on, and maybe I'll have to try it on the next batch of poppers.