Fly Tying
mlwebb

Fran Betters Swap - Usual, Haystack or Ausable Wulff

post-16253-0-82994500-1304787515_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-61918300-1304787513_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-76225200-1304787511_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-43853600-1304787509_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-76292800-1304787459_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-90393100-1304787457_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-33937300-1304787456_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-53144400-1304787461_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-93547100-1304787453_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-48910900-1304787450_thumb.jpgpost-16253-0-00232400-1305224126_thumb.jpg

Lets see if there is interest in a swap of Fran Betters better known flies, the Usual, Haystack or Ausable Wulff.

Variations to suit your local insects fine (in color, material), but let's keep it flies tied for trout, hook size 12 -18, recognizable as patterns mentioned.

Due by April 20, don't forget your toe tags and SASE, usual rules apply,

First 12 (11 flies, you won't get your own back)

You don't have to declare which you are tying, just sign up, but would appreciate it if you would post the recipe for your fly before mailing.

I will photograph the flies and post pics before returning them.

1. mlwebb -recvd

2. flygirl -recvd

3. ibrb -recvd. - Ausable Wulff

4. utyer -recvd

5. Fish-Skeez -recvd

6. riffleriversteel -recvd

7. flytyingfreak -recvd

8. rich5665 -dnf

9. hounddog -recvd

10. kbranch -recvd - Ausable Bomber

11. avril -recvd

12.Student4evr -recv

I'm IN !!....getting ready for the annual Two fly contest in May so I need to get tying these up

I would like to be in this but was curious if you would mind if I tied one of Fran's less popular patterns but probably the most effective small stream flies ever created its the Ausable bomber

here is the recipe

'Ausable Bomber"

Hook, Mustad 9671

Thread, Hot Orange

Tail, Woodchuck

Body, Orange Austrailian Possum

Wing, White Calftail

Hackle, Brown and Grizzly

I'm in, with one of Fran's "the usual " variants. A guy tying at Jimmys a few weeks ago related that Fran would tye "the usual" not only in orange, but in olive, tan and brown. I'll be tying an olive variant with a summer foot (dun colored) to represent a BWO.

I would like to be in this but was curious if you would mind if I tied one of Fran's less popular patterns but probably the most effective small stream flies ever created its the Ausable bomber

That's fine, glad to have you.

Michael

How many variations on a Wulff can there be? :blink: Yeesh - But since I'm already ready tying up a bunch Royals and Green Drakes might as well tie up an Ausable too - I'm in

Well, off the top of my head, I can think of the Grey, White, Black, Brown, Blonde, Olive, Red, and Grizzly (different from the Grey.) In addition to the Ausable, and Royal. Murrays Mr Rapidan is a variation too. I am sure there are others. I think there are enought for a swap of just Wulff variations.

Well, off the top of my head, I can think of the Grey, White, Black, Brown, Blonde, Olive, Red, and Grizzly (different from the Grey.) In addition to the Ausable, and Royal. Murrays Mr Rapidan is a variation too. I am sure there are others. I think there are enought for a swap of just Wulff variations.

Great idea!!! I may have to run one after the Great Nor' Easter is done. :hyst:

Swung by the local shop today to pick some materials up for this swap (grrrrr...no woodchuck!). Turns out the owner was actually a good friend of Fran's and had a handful of of flies that were tied by Fran himself. He says Fran was a great fisherman and friend and was suprised to hear that someone was hosting a "tribute" swap for him, considering how many of his patterns were "stolen" and renamed (comparadun=haystack). Anyhow, I got my hands on some excellent reference flies and once I spin up a few I'll decide on one for the swap...... just thought I'd share that !

fbetters.jpg

Cool. Nice to hear about those personal connections,

Well, only a few spots left to fill :) I am looking forward to seeing the flies from this one.

Michael