Fly Tying
rockworm

Evolution Swap

I don't think I can pass this one up. I'm in if you'll have me.

gpd4

Man, I am really looking forward to seeing what this group is going to produce. I have had the very real privilege of being in swaps with most of you and you are all impressive talents. PARTY ON!! :headbang:

Okay then, the game is on! I sent a pattern discription to number two on the list Bluegill576.

Can I have a forwarding adress, my flies are done!

Grtzzz...

Sjo

Welcome aboard Sjo. My address is on its way. How about we post our recipes here so the rest of us can get some idea of the evolution?

Evolutionary Swappers:

Please post your recipes here and give us the name of your creation when you pass that info on to the next in line.

When you mail your flies to me DO NOT include a return envelope as I will probably send your swap sets back to you in a small box. I will, however, need your return address. Since I can't predict what the return postage will be you can do one of the following:

Send me a couple of dollars or US postage stamps (more-or-less equivalent to what you need to mail your flies.)

Send me a couple of your hand-tyed flies; Or a couple of hooks, or material, or... whatever you think fair.

Or you can wait to receive your swap set and either mail me or PayPal me the postage.

I am so looking forward to seeing your flies!

Here is the pattern that I got from SJO:

Hook size 18

Gray hackle fibers tied spread as a tail

Gray tying thread for the abdomen

Dried eel skin to cover the thorax

Gray dubbing as thorax

Name: Eel skin nymph

Also could you post a picture because I am kind of confused about what it looks like. Thanks when I see the picture I will decide what I will change.

I'm guessing selection pressure here might favour nymphs lacking eel skin. (As after the last ice age the mammoths with their shaggy coats evolved into elephants who can barely raise a stubble.)

I'll admit this is waaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone, but sounds like a hoot aespecially with the group of tiers involved......

I'm in

C

I'm thinking i'm going to change the eel skin because I don't have any, but I still want to see the fly to see what it is.

OK mabey that wasn't clear. I am going to change the eel skin, but I don't know what I am going to change it to yet because I want to wait to say what I am going to change it to until I see a picture of the fly because I am not so sure of what it looks like.

Blue

I understand your desire to see what you have to work with. But the fact that you can't see the original is one of the advantages to this swap. Although you may change completely only one element, you may reconfigure any of the others to suit your creation. Sjo has provided a perfect beginning fly pattern. It is simple, comprised of only a few materials and doesn't give any details. I am hoping that Sjo's description will provide you with the IDEA for your fly. If you wish, keep his #18 hook and his grey hackle tail and his grey dubbing thorax and use something you find more suitable than eel skin for the abdomen (at least that's what I think the eel skin is for). But you can choose whatever style hook, whatever grey hackle (and how many fibers) for the tail, and whatever grey dubbing (and its orientation) for the thorax. Just relax and let your creativity decide how your fly will look. Whatever you tye will be fine.