Fly Tying
feathers5

Poster Fly Patterns

I see many flies posted here, some I like and other I don't care for, naturally. I'm always wondering if all of the patterns being posted have been fished or have they just been dreamed up and posted. If they have been fished it would be nice for the poster/creator to tell us how they performed to give us a better idea of what we might want to try.

Thanks,

Bruce

For some reason no one wants to fish my poppers. So it is a moot point. :wallbash: :(

But I've done very well with every one of the bream sized ones.

I have some poppers that were given to me in a swap that I am taking to cuba to try out. I honestly do not remember who gave them to me. But they are going with me.

Most of the flies I post I have fished and caught some type of fish on. Stippled Popper- I would fish your poppers, but I can't make anything nearly as good as them. :(

I'm with you on this =

I always like to see people work their creativity on the vise.

I do get a kick out of some folks' gigantic bunny fur wool marabou streamers. I (quickly) went through that phase myself a while ago until I painfully learned they weigh six ounces once they get wet. Easier to cast with a baitcasting outfit than an 8wt fly rod.

Feathers5 makes a good point. It is not always possible to simply tell when someone is posting a fly that they just came up with and are anxious to show to others( As the old saying goes, "When a person asks for criticism what he wants is praise."). Sometimes it is stated at the outset that the fly is tested or new, and sometimes the matter is clarified whether the fly is or is not tested during the discussion about the post. But often times it is left up to the viewers imagination to come to his own conclusion about the fly's effectiveness.

Were posters to state something about a posted fly's lineage and the poster's experience with it, it might be useful information to others who follow the site. It is sometimes pretty easy to make an informed guess but other times not so much.

I love tying the "gigantic bunny fur wool marabou streamers" and fish them too, but you also cant beat a 20+ inch fish taking a dry fly!

I see many flies posted here, some I like and other I don't care for, naturally. I'm always wondering if all of the patterns being posted have been fished or have they just been dreamed up and posted. If they have been fished it would be nice for the poster/creator to tell us how they performed to give us a better idea of what we might want to try.

Thanks,

Bruce

That is a very good question!!!!! I will tell you this, I posted some pictures of variations on a Zebra Midge. I can tell you that I fished a Zebra Midge a few weeks ago in a Missouri stream and caught many fish. Granted, the posts I put up were some variations on the standard pattern which I intend to try next outing.

Problem is: I think we have more time tying than we get on the stream. Therefore, we probably tie more patterns than we have an opportunity to fish. The stream dictates what will work; i.e., insect hatches (or lack of them), weather conditions, etc. We tiers tend to over prepare for fishing trips and, I believe, prepare many more patterns than we will actually be able to fish..............

Thanks,

Bruce

That is a very good question!!!!! I will tell you this, I posted some pictures of variations on a Zebra Midge. I can tell you that I fished a Zebra Midge a few weeks ago in a Missouri stream and caught many fish. Granted, the posts I put up were some variations on the standard pattern which I intend to try next outing.

Problem is: I think we have more time tying than we get on the stream. Therefore, we probably tie more patterns than we have an opportunity to fish. The stream dictates what will work; i.e., insect hatches (or lack of them), weather conditions, etc. We tiers tend to over prepare for fishing trips and, I believe, prepare many more patterns than we will actually be able to fish..............

There's nothing wrong with variations--most patterns are. I just think it would be nice to know that they were fished. For instance, "This pattern worked well on the brownies in skinny water." Or "Although it's a variation of the Hare's Ear it really didn't fish any better." Just a little note on what they experienced with a particular fly creation.

Bruce

I think you're correct!!! I will try that in the future. However, I sometimes post a photo of some variation I've tied and ask the community if they think it will work for the insect/hatch intended. Thus, can't give a report on such posts...............until later.

Good question. Most of the flies i've posted I've fished. A few times I've posted things here or elsewhere that were new to me, meaning I was trying a new style/fly and working on my skill, so I had not fished that specific fly prior. Maybe I'd fished the same style, but not that creation.

Some is just personal I think. For example, I like a pheasant tail nymph I tie with red wire v brass/copper. Honestly, I dont think it works better... but it just makes me feel good knowing it's my little twist.

Maybe we could ask Will to include a button in his (already awesome) Patterns Database where we could add our fishing comments. Like "caught an 18" brown", "lots of strikes but no hookups", "difficult to cast when wet", ... You get the idea.

I have made a good effort to try most of my flies. Although this season is very skinny on the 'fishing' department, unlike last year i got to spend 3 months south of the equator cruising in a boat around the coast flinging flies at all sorts before coming back around this time of year and heading to lake-of-the-woods, algonquin, BC, etc etc.

The funny thing was in my box i had some pretty looking flies i had some hope for, yet i kept just putting a simple clouser on, sometimes i do that for bass too, have 100 patterns to try yet just put on a wooley bugger, lol! Ordered some day5 flies recently that i want to chuck at the bass, i mean sometimes i see flies on this site that look amazing and i wish i had a couple!

Especially all these poppers and sliders i see, i have not ventured there yet, although when i was about 12 i used to make the lure type out of balsa for fun out of leftover bits from those little balsa model aircraft kits. So if anyone has too many poppers i am sure over the years they would get a swim. At least this new year fishing starts for me soon, and yep, doing another 6 months around the globe.

Does this happen to anyone? - You tie up a pattern that you have carefully matched to local forage, and it works amazing! So you go home and spend quite a long time tying up 100's of the same thing, or slight variations, more than enough for an entire lifetime.

Personally, I have most often caught fish on all the flies I have posted. If I haven't fished them, I try to state that somewhere. I definitely could be better about sharing specific experiences or techniques specific to the fly posted. Sometimes though it is quite specific to certain stretches of water. Sometimes a fly comes out of the vice, it has not been fished but experience just says to me..."blam! this thing is the ticket". I usually know when, where, and how I'm going to present it. Very rarely does it fail in those circumstances. This is a good topic.

There is a section option called "Presentation" when you download a database pattern. It is not used very often by posters. I try to list specific information there if there is something out of the ordinary pertaining to the fishing of the fly. Again I could be better at expanding on this and will try to be. Thanks for the reminder.