Fly Tying

Curious to why most use a 2487 or 88 vs a 200R with midges. I feel like my midges are not the correct length and have thought about tie'ing on the 200r but I've only been tying for 3 days now :)

All three numbers are TMC hook models. There is NO reason not to use the 200R hook for your midges. Brassies, and other midges look very nice on that hook. I use them quite often.

I use the Tiemco 200R for mostly tying up Midge Larva & Midge Pupa patterns #18-22.

It's a good hook, have fun tying with it.. B)

Yes, I was talking about Tiemco hooks. Sorry.

I see the curvature of the 2487 or 2488, but it seems to me like the 200R would give the proper length with curvature for midges. ESPECIALLY when you get down to the smaller sizes like a 22 or 20.

Not really sure what you mean by "proper length". 2487s and 2488s come in a full range of sizes. And there is no law that says midges must be curved either. Midge larva/pupa on straight hooks work just fine. Use whatever hooks feels right.

the curvature of a midge is just a snapshot in time as it drifts in the current

ive heard it said the gape/gap of the hook is smaller than that of a scud type hook and could hinder it hooking ability

ive hook 100's of trout on this fly http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/tan_thread_midge.htm tied on a straight shanked dry fly hook

tyers preference is the way to go. nothing is etched in stone.

The only 2 hooks I use for midges is a 2499SPBL in a 16, and a 200R in 20 and 18, I also like the daiichi red hooks they are a little cheaper and can create some really interesting patterns.

Personally I believe that THE number one most important rule in fly tying is that...... THERE ARE NO RULES ;) I say I like this or use that and the next guy likes something else... I would not use his flies because that's not the way I like mine tied, he might not like the way mine are tied so what that's our opinion. Don't get all caught up in the gotta go with the exact way or it will be all wrong. Do what you like, if the fish bite.... then keep doing it, if not try something different.

Steve

I mostly tie my midges .. and I fish midges allot .. on the TMC2499SP. In my mind there's no better hook made. Yes they are expensive but I think you get what you pay for. Flytire is right .. the 2488, 2488H and the 2499SP have straight eyes which gives a better gape. I have a bunch of the TMC200R also and they have their uses too. I guess I just like the straight eye/wide gape better.

Mike