Fly Tying
Crotalus

Thinking about trying a Regal

The Regal is a work horse, very good spring tension to hold a hook and support a person hanging over the side of the Empire State Building.

I will add the fact that if you intend to do alot of small work, then you might want to get the smaller stainless steel jaws as metioned previously in this thread, for the reasons of - the standard jaws are more robust in design and the fact is that if the hook is popping out and shooting into space somewhere & later found in your foot or some other unwanted destination is, the tyer is trying to get as much of the small hook exposed to make it comfortable to get your fingers close enough to the hook for material placement. The stainless steel version sports a more slimline tapered jaws and will allow a close more natural placement of the tyers fingers in relation to the hook shank.

Happy tying and tight lines

- Mark

My very first vise was a Regal. I still use it for reworking and filing hooks after I strip

the finish. I switched when the Regal spit out a small hook and chipped the jaw. While it was in getting repaired

(they charged me $40, btw), I bought an HMH and haven't looked back. I know a lot of great tiers who use Regals and love them...

Mike

I tie on a Regal as well and after 10 years have only one complaint. It has a hard time holding larger hooks with the profile of a 200R. Fit the larger sizes in the pre made grooves and it separates the bend and I have had a few 200R hooks snap on me. Pull them forward out of the groove and the hook slips. This really isn't an issue, but is the only complaint I could find.

As far as the rotary function goes, I set mine parallel to the table if I want rotary, adjust the hook a bit and rotate it just fine. It's not "true" rotary but completely serves the purpose.

What do you consider "larger" I use a few #8 200Rs, but mostly 10s and 12s.

Thanks for all the input. Anniversary is just around the corner, so i think i may pull the trigger on the stainless jaw model.

I have a Regal and it's a solid vise. It's simple with average size hooks, but when you get down to the size 20s and smaller beware. Be very careful placing the hook in the jaws. They sometimes slip out and the jaws chip. Then you'll get a sarcastic letter from the company telling you you didn't use it properly. If you're going to tie with small hooks make sure you get the midge jaws. I have a Renzetti, too, and I don't have to worry about that happening. Every vise has its merits and shortcomings.

I bought a Regal with the midge head 11 years ago and have never spit a hook. I tie any category for trout or bass on it that's sized 2 or smaller. I use it for crimping down every hook barb, and bending smaller sproat or limerick hook shapes out to get the bead around the bend, and bending the hook back to where it was. It will tie down to a size 32 TMC 518 if you adjust the jaws to verticle. It won't hold a Mustad 277 size 32 Crystal hook since the jaws have an inner curve at their tips. The only complaint if you can call it that, was the standard metal base was a little too light for the larger hooks for packing hair etc. and it would slide around on my cluttered bench. I bought the bronze version and it's been just fine ever since. As far as holding the hook is concerned, the hook will bend while packing deer hair for bass flies before it slips in the vise that I own.

Regards,

Mark

There are two types of Regal users. Those who have chipped jaws and those who are going to chip their jaws.

I worked for a fly shop that sold Regal. I would say maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the customers that bought them would chip their jaws. Early on Regal would stand behind them and replace them. Than they started to blame the customer and charge them. The shop stopped selling Regal's because of the jaw chipping problem and Regals poor customer service.

I have chipped two Regals in the last 20 years.

The first was a standard jaw head. I was told by Regal that it was my fault that the standard head was not intended for use with the small hooks that I was using. I found that interesting since at the time I bought it that was the only jaw available from them and was advertised as being able to hold all hook sizes.

The second was a midge head. Again Regal claimed it was also my fault. This time because of the way I put the hook in the jaws.

Both of the heads/jaws were purchased when Regal had a "Lifetime Warranty" yet I was still charged for a replacement.

The jaws I am tying on now (midge) have not chipped YET. But I have noticed a few interesting things. When using a larger hook (10+) I am able to get the hook to move in the jaws. If I can move the hook when it is clamped in the jaw that means that it is possible for the hook to slide out of the jaws allowing the jaws to slam closed and chip. I wonder how many other Regal users have had this happen but were blamed for "improper hook placement"? I have also noticed a slight "lip" starting to form at the edge of the jaws were the smaller hooks are placed. It is very small but can be felt by moving a finger nail over the edge of the jaw. I beleive that repeated hook placement in the same spot has started to work/move the metal toward the outside edge. Will this also lead to a hook slipping and chipping the jaws?

IMO Regal has flaws in their vise. Instead of standing behind their product/warranty they would sooner blame the user. I have not heard of or seen any chipping problems with the stainless jaws, so maybe this has cured the problem.

Good luck, Tony

I've been using a Regal for a long time, and the only issue I've ever had is it won't hold some of the larger hooks I tie on. They just won't fit into the jaws. I tie mostly saltwater & bass flies, and some hooks over 2/0 are a problem. Depends on the hook & wire diameter. Other than that, I've had no problems at all.

Single biggest problem with Regals is their tendency to spit hooks. Now this is not unique to the Regal. I have had my Renzetti do the same thing, resulting in chipped jaws, as one would expect. The Regal has a greater tendency to do this, because of the way it is designed. However, that is also its biggest advantage. A Regal will load hooks of varying sizes faster than any other vise on the market. I imagine this is why it is so popular among commercial tiers.

The new owners of Regal Engineerng have been very responsive the few times I have contacted them, and their warranty policy is in line with most of the major manufactures. If you tie a lot, and use mostly larger flies (>#18), the Regal is an excellent choice, in my opinion.

I have used one for years now without a problem. I love mine! I use mine for tying 6-18 size hooks and I havent had a problem.

I have used a regal for years and never had a "pop" or have chipped my jaws. I have only the same complaint as the the others in that it does not hold LARGE hooks well. I make due by placing them back far in the jaws and they hold 97% of the time. Love my regals, ( I own a medallion and the revolution)

Tony300wby

What kind of hooks are you using that the steel is stronger than the steel jaws are? Im sorry but i would agree with regal that "improper hook placement" Is the cause of the trouble of which you speak of. I see tons of videos and even books, that portray very poor hook placement in the vice. Another thing is, DONT use your vice to clamp barbs! Get a cheap pair of pliers.

I have over 20 years, probably 23-25 on the same set of Regal Jaw's, and the same vice. the cork pad on the bottom of the pedestal is a little punky thanks to all the use, but overall, it's as good as the day I got it.

I tie 4/0 to 22's in it. Ill admit the big hooks do need to be placed in the groove in the jaw to be super secure. Ill also say, that although back int he day I went smaller time to time, the basic Jaw is probably a little chunky if your a hardcore tiny fly person.

Overall though, it's a great vice that I've been super happy with for all the years I've owned it.

Have tied on a Regal Medallion for over 20 years. A big step up from the Thompson & others. Only had one Mustad 277 #32 fly off into the other dimension, but it did chip the jaws. Sent it back in for a new set; still think the new jaws don't hold as well as the original that would hold #28's & didn't hold the big hooks for saltwater flies as it chipped the groove on the same jaws also, but the hooks were oversized for the jaws. Got a Regal Revolution with saltwater jaws for the Gamakatsu # 3/0- 2-H tarpon fly hooks & the grooves in the jaws don't give the hook any movement. New problem is that there may be debris in between the jaws of the Revolution & was going to send them back to have them cleaned out, but still tying the big flies. Only the smaller #10-12 flies move, so the jaw tips don't close all the way ( thickness of a Post-It ). Still way better than multiple adjustments on other vises by only making sure the hook is in the groove or in the jaw tips when releasing the lever.

I purchased the first of the rotary head Regal's when they were introduced.

The head would not stay in position and kept moving on its axis.

The vise would spit small hooks across the room and chip out the jaws.

Sold it off for a Dyna King Professional.

Regards,

FK