Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salty fly

Large mouth bass hooks

I really need to learn more about hooks.I am useing Tiemco 5262,5263 in #2's and #4's for all of my bass bugs. Just seeing what you guys are useing.I like the Tiemco hooks,its the onely I have used,Its the brand of hook I started on,and never changed. I am looking for a hook with a bigger gap,mabey even some bigger hooks.most of my flies are no bigger than 4". my flies hook up with fish, I have had some short strikes but not to many, that I could feel.Anyway,thanks,any tips would be great.

Daiichi makes a DX15 called X-Point Wide Gape "J" Hook and it looks just like an EWG Gamakatsu and looks like it comes in #4 to a 3/0. It has an offset shank. I have used the Gamakatsu hooks like this for soft plastics for bass. Great hooks and I guess you could just by the Gamakatsu or the Daiichi as both are great hooks.

Skip

If you like Tiemco then the 8089 is a great choice; I use them for all of my bass bugs. As Kirk mentioned, the Gama B10S is a good hook for bass bugs.

I've used & still use many different hooks for bass flies. I use a lot of plastic worm hooks, but unfortunately they're limited in the size range for the smaller sizes. Gamakatsu makes some as small as a size 2. Gamakatsu Worm Hooks

I use a lot of 1/0 & 2/0 so worm hooks are perfect.

Have to agree with 8089 Tiemco, and Gamakatsu B10S, both are very good hooks.

When you can find them, Mustad made a hook that is similar to the 3366, but was in the Accu Point series, AC33637. These were also a worm hook, and have barbs on the shank, but are a slightly better hook than the 3366, in that they're sharper out of the package. (But still not very sharp like Gammies or Tiemco!) They're a discontinued hook, that show up on Ebay sometimes, and can usually be purchased cheap. Sometimes even cheaper than 3366's. ;)

I have recently started using bass bug hooks from Hagens (www.hagensfish.com). They are pretty good and most importantly cheap.

I have recently started using bass bug hooks from Hagens (www.hagensfish.com). They are pretty good and most importantly cheap.

I have gotten several things from Hagens and would recomend them. There price's are good.

Kevin

I agree with Hagen's, great folks to deal with, they've added a lot of items for fly tying to their catalog over the past few years. I've bought various items for lure making from them for many years.

Also, check out Captain Hooks Warehouse, http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com

They have some pretty good prices & a large selection too.

I've also used the Mustad 3366's, but when I make the articulated bass bug I have been using a lot recently, I use a Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hook in 2/0. It's a short shank hook with a wide bite, I use it for the articulated bugs and also for some larger Deceivers for bass. It's a great little hook, high quality and very tough for a bass to throw.

I use a Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hook in 2/0

I've also used that hook quite a bit. Owner makes a similar one they call a Mosquito hook. It's light wire, high quality & extremely sharp, intended for finesse applications with soft plastics. It makes a very good bass fly hook too! :)

So many hooks.I looked up most of those hooks,really some cool hooks.I need to mess around with all the diffrent hooks,tie up some pattrens with the hook on the list,not just use what I have.

I love a big bass, but I fish the surf a lot.A lot of guys are useing the Gamakatsu B10s for surf flies on the cali. coast,that is a great hook.I did not think about that one for a bass bug.I have been thinking about fish mouths and how they take the bug.for large mouth I have seen them hit it from all directions,fast hard hits,slow hits,opening up there mouths and sucking up lots of water, the bug and any thing elese around.most of the time they take the whole fly.Right after the take or when the fish spits the fly At that point is the hook set most of the time.So if the fish eats the whole bug, location of the bend and the point of the hook is not really that big of a deal? I see some patterns,that are big flies and the hook is close to the front of the bug.I tie mine about a third of the way down or so.A big part of it probley is haveing that large hook gap and a strong hook.Thanks guys love the talk.

I use H2O brand worm hooks 3/0 to 5/0 for almost all my top waters and the same hook in 2/0 to 3/0 for bunnys and big leaches. They have a wide gap and are very strong.