Fly Tying
jhammer

My Panfish Charlies

I wanted to share a pic with you guys of the flies I tied up. Turns out the little Panfish Charlies have been going pretty quick down at the bait store!

post-32910-0-05045600-1307078001_thumb.jpg

Not bad for someone who shakes like a rock tumbler huh? Hahahaha :lol:

Nice-looking flies. Elegant yet simple! My kids and I are going to tye up a few and try them out on the local bluegills. What size and style hook do you use?

Best hook I have found is the eagle claw 084M from wally world, and it looks exactly like that one in the picture. I normally use a #6 but will on occasion go to a 4 or 2.

Steve

I wanted to share a pic with you guys of the flies I tied up. Turns out the little Panfish Charlies have been going pretty quick down at the bait store!

post-32910-0-05045600-1307078001_thumb.jpg

Not bad for someone who shakes like a rock tumbler huh? Hahahaha :lol:

Those flies are extremely nice. I am gonna have to tie some of these in the future.

Nice-looking flies. Elegant yet simple! My kids and I are going to tye up a few and try them out on the local bluegills. What size and style hook do you use?

Just like Steve P said, just some el cheapo Eagle Claw size 8 hooks from Wally World.

I use the same hooks for these flies and i use poly yarn for the wing but I am sure others use different stuff for it it's just what I had lying around.

The wing is made of yarn and the bodies are floss. They sure are quick and fun to tie!

The wing is made of yarn and the bodies are floss. They sure are quick and fun to tie!

Did you put a coating over the floss? Sometimes I do that for protection from fish teeth. Sometimes I don't.

Nope, just wrapped it with some pretty good pressure. I never had any problems with fish damage.