Fly Tying
LigonierA1

who ties/fishes Whitlocks Red Fox Squirrel nymph?

I saw the article also, and was intrigued. Tied up a couple and they look very 'buggy' for sure, and should cover a number of nymphal and pupal imitations. Can't wait to try them in the spring.

As I am in Florida for the winter months, I tied up the Flats Rubber leg version and, altho it came out looking like a crayfish, I had some very good action with it the other day (redfish).

OK, I'll be the name-dropper:

I took a tying class from Dave Whitlock about six years ago at the Southern Council Conclave, and I was tying them before then. Since the class, I've been tying them "right."

The photo is a good representation because it uses orange Flashabou, which we used in the class. Earlier versions had a gold tinsel rib.

Since the class, I tied about 3 dozen of them and haven't used them often enough to lose enough to tie more. So I've still got a handful. I like them in 12-16 size.

I just got done grinding some of the dubbing. Dave suggested antron to enhance the color. I ended up shaving the belly, adding a pinch of Amber #27 and some beaver. Man, does this stuff look awesome!!!

Too cold to fish.... Might as well tie dunno.gif

Ok fellas, check this...

I blended the second the second set of dubbing using the back hair, some buff antron and a little of muskrat underfur for bulk and spun it in a loop, but found it sparse. In other words the back hair seemed a little short. Did I blend it too much? I ended up taking some of the backhair and spinning it in a dubbing loop much like the way Dave Hughes does his fur wets and adding it right at the head to give it that full "swept back" look. Looks great, but...

Should I add some more hair to the dubbing and only blend it for a second?

After re-reading my above above post, I should rephrase that somewhat. The nymphs look just like the pictures in the article in the Flytying Journal (Winter 2005), but like in all of Whitlock's articles he uses mostly drawings, instead of actual photographs, I found it sparse compared to the drawings of the variations. It's easy to add a few strands of soft hackle as a beard, a couple of fibetts for feelers and fill the pattern (in the drawings).

Does this make sense? dunno.gif

I read the same article and have already ordered the dubbing.

Have already gotten reports of 'gills swimming south at breakneck speeds. bugeyes.gif

If you slip a bead on the front, it works great. whitlock's dubbing blend has the 2 dubbing colors in it. Fished this pattern for the first time this year for steelies and did pretty well.

screaming reels

QUOTE (BadKarma @ Jan 17 2005, 11:12 AM)
I read the same article and have already ordered the dubbing.

Have already gotten reports of 'gills swimming south at breakneck speeds. bugeyes.gif

Did you order the dubbing already blended? Where? That would save me a ton of time since I have so much to tie up for Arkansas.

Yeah, it comes in a multi dispenser. I think its called Whitlocks Special. #1 and #2 are the Fox Squirrel Tail Back and Belly.

I ordered it through my local flyshop. I think its coming from Flycraft but I'm not sure I'll ask when I pick it up Friday. headbang.gif