Fly Tying

Ok, I hosted my first swap and had a drop-out, is anyone keeping a record of who does this on a regular basis and banning them from swapping or do we just tolerate it and keep letting them sign up and take up a space that could be filled by another who will fulfill their commitment to the rest of the group?

Ok I guess I need to restate the name, no reply drop-outs, hope this helps those understand that dropping for a reason is no crime and totally understandable, I am talking about those that sign up and disappear without any contact at all.

Ok, I hosted my first swap and had a drop-out, is anyone keeping a record of who does this on a regular basis and banning them from swapping or do we just tolerate it and keep letting them sign up and take up a space that could be filled by another who will fulfill their commitment to the rest of the group?

I do believe that the mods are keeping track of the drop outs and banning the ones that make a regular deal about it. I think they ask that you message them and let them know about the drop out and they will keep an eye on them.

Yes there is a list of banned swappers. As of a swap meister, you're suppose to report these people, because the mods don't have enough time to look at every swap going on here. Also, only report them if they don't have a valid reason also if they don't contact you with any information on why they aren't swapping anymore.

swappers drop out of swaps for various reasons (health, kids, vacations, medical emergency etc) but thats really no reason to ban them from swaps

now the swappers who take the flies and run, procrastinators etc is a different story

i have dropped out on a couple of swaps because a company business trip would have prevented me from completing my obligation so would you ban me for that?? (my job comes first. it pays the bills)

you are not the first swapmeister to have a drop out nor will you be the last. it happens to most swapmeisters.

you know the swapper who dropped out, so when you host another and they sign up, send them a PM about their commitment or lack thereof.

it is also the swapmeisters responsibility to have a dialog with the swappers to possibly avoid the problems you just had. a simple PM can solve a lot of problems.

Here's something I wrote on my blog.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2011/03/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html?m=0

I couldn't agree more. If you must drop out it shouldn't be a reason for banning. Things happen. I also agree that the drop outs should be kept track of.

I agree with Flytire, as long as there is a line of communication, it deserves understanding. I've been involved in a few swaps with dropouts and hosted one with same. It actually is kind of nice if the swapmeister passes along the extra flies. If one guy drops out, everyone will have an extra, in addition to the extras they may send the swapmeister, you take the extra from everyones submittals and add it to someone else's box. You'll soon forget about the dropout when you get a box of flies with two of the same so you can fish one and still have another for a go-by.

Kirk

Like Mybadhabit said "on a regular basis". when you sign up its your responsability to follow through with your commitment. If something comes up, as it did for me several months back, then its again your responsability to contact the SM as soon as possible so that they can find a replacement tyer if possible. When you see the same name time and time again being late or dropping out, then yes they should be placed on a list....Its funny that the 2 swaps I dropped from I ended up tying for anyway because others dropped out, and one of those the SM (Gaddy from Ontario) got sucked up by aliens or something.I have a few names on my list that I will avoid if possible.

As a SM you have to pass the infomation along to the moderators about any bad swapers...Ive seen a couple swaps that they got involved, but also noticed there was no update to the list.

I posted awhile back about making a stand-by list of folks that would be interested in jumping in last minute to fill in a dropped spot. Be honest how long does it take to rip out a dozen flies?

Darrin

Thanks for the Read Flytyer....Should be pinned on the top

I don't think a 'drop-out' is the real issue. When you get a guy who signs up and then has no further contact with you...and doesn't ship his/her flies. I do have a problem with that.

your welcome and i'm glad somebody read it :)

Be honest how long does it take to rip out a dozen flies?

EXACTLY!

most swaps are about a month long and there should be no reason why a swapper cant tie 12 in a month AND send in the flies by the deadline (barring some unforseen personal tragedy)(having sniffles or a cold is not a personal tragedy. ive seen that excuse before)

there will always be procrastinators and theres nothing that can be done except once you know who they are, send a simple PM asking them politely not to participate

i have meistered swaps and made a condition if i didnt recieve the swap flies by the swap deadline, they would be returned WITHOUT any swap flies. i dont think thats being mean if you thought you cold be lazy and procrastinate and have the other swappers who were on time waiting for you to deliver.

your welcome and i'm glad somebody read it :)

Be honest how long does it take to rip out a dozen flies?

EXACTLY!

most swaps are about a month long and there should be no reason why a swapper cant tie 12 in a month AND send in the flies by the deadline (barring some unforseen personal tragedy)(having sniffles or a cold is not a personal tragedy. ive seen that excuse before)

there will always be procrastinators and theres nothing that can be done except once you know who they are, send a simple PM asking them politely not to participate

i have meistered swaps and made a condition if i didnt recieve the swap flies by the swap deadline, they would be returned WITHOUT any swap flies. i dont think thats being mean if you thought you cold be lazy and procrastinate and have the other swappers who were on time waiting for you to deliver.

I agree totally. if you can't get them tied on time and shipped before the deadline, than why should I wait for you to be lazy and irresponsible. I feel that returning the fly's to the tardy swapper without swapping is the least you could do. I simply think that if someone has a lagitamate reason to drop out than it should be excused without pregudice, but with in reason. once or twice is nothing but if its like two swaps in a row or within a certian time peroid than I could see a list such as a probationary list that the SM's could use to simply PM the person in question and use for their referance so that they can be watchful of progress and maybe check up from time to time during their participation.

Just my thoughts. I too would not like to be banned if I had to drop out due to a good reason such as an emergency.

I also just hosted my first swap and had a "no-show." This swapper hasn't communicated to any of my PMs since the week before the swap deadline. I was disappointed and decided to send out the flies 3 weeks after the due date and suggested the errant member mail one of his flies to each of the other swappers. (I thought the hassle of addressing envelopes and licking stamps would be a just punishment.) Unfortunately, I still haven't heard from him. I hope he is simply overrun with work.

I don't think a 'drop-out' is the real issue. When you get a guy who signs up and then has no further contact with you...and doesn't ship his/her flies. I do have a problem with that.

This is what happened, two weeks out I pm'd him and no reply, one week out I pm'd him and again no reply, two days to ship date I pm'd him and no reply, it's not like I didn't try to contact him for an update. I gave him many chances and still no response from him/her so that's why I posted about it, and wondered if there is a list of those to watch out for and those banned from swapping so everyone can have a chance at it. I have no problem if someone needs to drop for a reason, it's just those that sign up and you never hear from them again.

I think everyone is on the same page here - If someone signs up for a swap, and is never heard from again = bad. If someone signs up and then communicates to the SM a legitiment reason for dropping out = sad, but certainly excusable.

I was in a swap once where one of the guys dropped out 'cuz his house burned down, then he apologized all over the place for not finishing the swap! I'd say that was a legitiment excuse, wouldn't you?

I have seen the "banned" list here on the forum, and would also like to see it kept current.

Seems the easiest way would be for the SM's to let one of the moderators know of any problems. The only thing the moderator should hear about should be the no-show that hasn't communicated with the SM.

OK, I've spent my $.02

I'm curious if there have really been that many repeate offenders? I have seen folks drop out for good reasons, and I have seen people dissapear never to be heard from again. If you check somone's profile you can see the last time that they were active, and that will pretty much tell you if they are among the missing. Other than that, I don't know why anyone would repeatedly sign up for swaps and then drop.

I am going to jump in here because I agree with all that is said. I have never dropped out of a swap and can understand those that do but there are a few who just disappear from site never to be heard from again. The Ant Swap a few months ago turned into a real disaster when the swapmeister flon18 disappeared with everyones flies. No email, no posts, nothing! I emailed him multiple times, the moderators emailed him multiple times and he hasn't been on the forum since. He got away with about 175 flies in the swap. The swap started bad when he wasn't updating anyone. His last log in to the forum was after the flies were due, after people asked him about our flies. His name is Justin Nolf from CT and he should definately be banned fromt he swap and the forum!