Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Catalpa_Joe

Just For Those Retired

What was your work before retirement & how is life after retirement? I'm getting real close to pulling the plug. :unsure: There's lots of flies to tie, fish to catch & geese to hunt. I just feel like I need to NOT be working right now.

I just feel like I need to NOT be working right now.

Good luck with it. You might die while you're working, but don't work 'til you die!!!

I have exactly one year to go before I can retire. Fortunatly, my wife will be still working for 7 years after I retire, so it won't be too bad. Chances are pretty good my ticket will be cancelled before she reaches retirement.

I used to think I'd just work until I fell over, but in the past couple of years, I've been going in to work, and thinking "what am I doing here??". Really looking forward to it, planning on tying and fishing a lot.

I think we as a society have ethis retirement thing all backwards - you should be born retired, then go to work when you're about 55. That way, you have your youth to do the things you want to do, and are physically able to do them.

Oh, well.

What was your work before retirement & how is life after retirement? I'm getting real close to pulling the plug. :unsure: There's lots of flies to tie, fish to catch & geese to hunt. I just feel like I need to NOT be working right now.

Nuclear Engineering Technician at a shipyard, retired Jan 09 at the tender age of 55. There are no regrets only flies, poppers, carving decoys, fishing, hunting and spending time with the family. Biggest wonder is where does all the time go and why can't I keep my workbenches clean?

I was in Retail Management, due to some health issues both my wife and I were forced into retirement earlier than planned. This does at times stretch the finances, however we both have hobbies and interests that keep us busy. We just returned from a weekend Quilt Show in the California Gold Country. She did the quilt thing, I went fishing. Today we have grandkids to take care of after school. I also do some volunteer work. Like someone else said, I can't keep my workbenches clean anymore. We love having the freedom to just get up and go somewhere because we or her or I feel like going. B)

Retirement is too far away for me, but my Dad just retired this spring. He said he knew it was time to retire when he just didn't want to go to work anymore. He's always loved work (he still can't sit still!), and he loved what he did (IT related), so for him to reach that point was a big thing.

Since retirement, he's almost like a kid again. It's been so fun to watch. I'm really jealous! It's also got me thinking a lot more about planning financially for retirement so I'll be able to while I still have energy. This summer, my Dad would take my 2 boys every Thursday and they would do a wood project in my Dad's woodshop. It was a big deal if they couldn't go one week!

The first thing you find when you retire is you don't have the money you use to when you are working. So get all your duckes in a row, and plan what you want to do first, there will not be the money or time to do it ALL at once. But it is fun doing one at a time. Olefish

I'm not anywhere near being retired, but I guess being disabled is kind of like being retired somewhat. :lol:

Before I got sick I used to be a truck driver. I wasn't long-haul, just local. Drove dump trucks, garbage trucks, and tractor-trailer tankers. I certainly miss my job. I worked hard and loved every second of it. I still go and visit my bosses and co-workers and they still let me sit in the parked trucks and reminisce about the good times.

Was a truck driver too. dump,heavy equipment, etc. local went on disability/retired 10 years ago at 46. living on a fixed income can be tuff at times but has been interesting.

I must have had a job once, what was it? Had something to do with computers, and switches and networks, and stuff. Glad I'm done with all that. After 16 months, I'm loving it. Got all them "honey-do" projects out of the way, and nothing to do now buy tie and fish.

Was a truck driver too. dump,heavy equipment, etc. local went on disability/retired 10 years ago at 46. living on a fixed income can be tuff at times but has been interesting.

I wasn't able to work for very long but the only thing I don't miss about trucking is that it tore my body up. Many folks don't believe it can, but it does. It tore my knees and back up something fierce. Numerous trips in and out of the cab/on top of the trailer, riding long hours, unhooking fifth wheel, etc. My truck in particular had a nasty fifth wheel release bar that tore my shoulder to pieces. Not the reason I'm disabled, but it's tougher than most folks think. My hat's off to another trucker! ;)