Fly Tying
novabass

Fly Rod and Reel for beginner?

I'm wanting an inexpensive fly rod and reel to get me started. Do you guys have any you could recommend? I'm hoping to keep it under $100.00. I know this reduces my options, but what can I say, I only have so much money.

Look at either Bass Pro or Cabelas. You might also look at the sponsor here and see what they can put together for you. Your best bet is a 9ft 5wt.

I agree with that, go to Cabelas, gander mountain, bass pro, or some kind of large corporate sporting goods store and you will find something. When I first wanted to learn to fly fish, I bought an 8'6" 5wt. redington, I had no idea what i was doing and I beat the crap out of it, i think it was like 80 bucks. I never use it now, but it worked more than fine for learning and beyond. Okuma makes some cheap reels that work fine, they aren't sealed so don't dunk it too much but if you're fishing for trout, it wont matter anyways, its basically a 40 dollar storage spool. If you buy your line from a fly shop and maybe some flies, they might back your reel for you if they have some stuff lying around, its worth asking and face time at the local shop is always worth while.

if you post up what you want to fish for, im guessing bass from your username, people will give you a better idea of what size and wt to buy.

I agree with that, go to Cabelas, gander mountain, bass pro, or some kind of large corporate sporting goods store and you will find something. When I first wanted to learn to fly fish, I bought an 8'6" 5wt. redington, I had no idea what i was doing and I beat the crap out of it, i think it was like 80 bucks. I never use it now, but it worked more than fine for learning and beyond. Okuma makes some cheap reels that work fine, they aren't sealed so don't dunk it too much but if you're fishing for trout, it wont matter anyways, its basically a 40 dollar storage spool. If you buy your line from a fly shop and maybe some flies, they might back your reel for you if they have some stuff lying around, its worth asking and face time at the local shop is always worth while.

if you post up what you want to fish for, im guessing bass from your username, people will give you a better idea of what size and wt to buy.

Thanks, yes, I will mostly be fishing for bass. There aren't many places to fish for trout in my area that I know of. But I do fish for other species from time to time.

Yea, an 8'6" 5wt. is a great all around rod, i dont fish for bass very often, so im not positive if its the best choice, if you live down south, you will probably want something stronger, cuz the bass down there are downright hogs, but im sure someone will post up something more bass specific. Good Luck!

A little more detail of you planned fishing would be very helpful. If you plan to cast medium to large hair bugs, streamers, and poppers you do need a 7wt and maybe larger. If you are thinking of using small to medium flys you might be able to get along with a 5wt and a 5wt is much easier to cast for a longer period of time. The heavier the rod the more tiring. (sort of ). As the flies get bigger it becomes less tiring to cast heavier rods. Sometimes it is less tiring to cast a 9wt than a 5wt. If you are fishing from a boat or in more open areas a 9' rod is better. If you are fishing in small to medium creeks a 7' may be a better choice. I use a 6' 2wt in the small creeks. You will probably find a weight forward line to be helpful. Reels for most fresh water fishing is mostly a matter of what floats your boat. The cheaper reels sold by Bass Pro and Cabelas are perfect for starters. Pflueger Medalist reels are great also and are what I have used for 45 years. I have Bass pro 8.5' 5wt that came with reel, backing, and line for around $100 on sale and one in whatever line weight you decide would be a great starter.

All of this being said. I am starting my granddaughter on a 5wt next spring. ( Medalist Reel btw ) A 5wt will not overpower BG and will handle most Bass in open water. Just don't expect to cast large flies with it. I started with an 8wt and it almost turned me away from FF. A little Heddon 5wt opened my eyes. Go light and learn and then you can invest in other needed rods.

Mine was an old Scientific Anglers combo which I still use sometimes. A 9 foot 6wt is a good all-around rod. The same goes for a 5wt. B)

novabass, selecting a fly rod for bass, is just like selecting any other type rod for bass. If you wanted to flip 1/2 oz jigs into heavy cover, you would need the right rod for it. If you wanted to fish a 4 inch drop shot worm, you would again need the right rod. In both examples, you would not likely choose the same rod. Same with fly rods. You could choose a rod for bass as light as a 5 wt, or up to as heavy as a 10 wt, depending on the type of water you would be fishing, the average size of the bass, and the size of the flies you would use regularly. No single rod will fit into all situations.

These folks have given you some good advise that covers the range of rod weights, and various sources to check out. You have to select the rod that will best fit the fishing you'll be doing most. The 5 wt end of the range, would be fine for bass where the average size may only be a pound or two, in fairly open water, and would be good for panfish as well. The 10 wt end of the range would be fine if you fish in very heavy cover, or with very large flies, and for larger size bass. It would be a good choice if you would also fish in saltwater regularly for species such as Striped Bass. However, it would not be much fun for most any smaller species, as it would be way too much rod.

I've done a lot of bass fishing with a 6 wt. In close range, I've even cast some fairly large flies with it. It does however, limit me to fairly open water, and either with smaller size flies, or short casts with larger flies. I like a 6 wt if I'm interested in catching bass, but don't mind if anything else hits my flies, like Bluegills, Perch or Crappies. I also like the 6 wt for small stream bass, especially Smallmouths.

I also started with an 8 wt. It's a very good size for bass, but is more rod than needed for most panfish. In some of the places I fish, due to heavy cover, I'll even go up to a 10 wt. The average bass is only about 2 lbs, but a 3-4lb fish in that heavy cover is too much for a lighter rod, even an 8 wt. most of the time. I'll also use either a 9 wt, or 10 wt where I may encounter larger size Striped bass. In some of the tidal creeks I fish, it's sometimes likely that both Stripers & Largemouths may be present, so I want to be prepared for either.

Regardless of which rod you choose as your first, it's likely that you'll want to get another rod of a different weight at some point to fit more specific situations.

If I was just starting again, I would likely go with a 6 wt as an all around rod, with the intention of adding an 8 or 9 wt later as my heavy rod.

(I also have a 3 & a 4 wt rod, which are not what I would use for bass regularly, but they're awesome for when I just want to chase panfish!)

Perhaps you may want to get a lighter wt rod at some point too! :)

BTW, I also own about 25 baitcasters & about 20 spinning rods in various lengths, & for various applications. They fit a wide range of uses, for both freshwater & salt, because as I said before, no single rod will do it all! Fly rods are no different! :)

I bought my fist fly rod 7/8 combo at cabelas for over $200 now the same fly rod combo is 139 last week they were on sale for $68 dollars I pick up a 3 wt and a 5 wt and I picked up a cahil combo for 29 that use to be 100 They have gotten real cheep. Most of cabelas rod combo's are less than 200 now.

I'm a coarse angler who has just taken up fly fishing and would like some opinions on rods, reels, lines and any general advice from anyone who has "been

there".

Obviously I want to get a general purpose rod & line to begin with. I know that there is no such thing but I want the nearest to that I can get. :-)

I will probably start with small stillwater stocked type places to practice. (as it's easier for a beginner?)

Then I would want to try reserviors. After that if I try rivers I would be experienced enough to get some more specific gear I presume.

I'm a coarse angler who has just taken up fly fishing and would like some opinions on rods, reels, lines and any general advice from anyone who has "been

there".

Obviously I want to get a general purpose rod & line to begin with. I know that there is no such thing but I want the nearest to that I can get. :-)

I will probably start with small stillwater stocked type places to practice. (as it's easier for a beginner?)

Then I would want to try reserviors. After that if I try rivers I would be experienced enough to get some more specific gear I presume.

Ethan

Not sure what your price limit is if you have a ball park that would assist us here on the forum to assist getting you geared up. I posted a few options above. there are many options from cabela's that are cheap from 30.00 all the way up to thousands. The one from cabela's thats worth looking at is the cahill combo for 29.99 with a 4.4 /5 rating from over 70 people it must be a good combo. Dont feel like you must buy expensive combos to get into this sport, yes you will upgrade with what kind of rod/ reel fits you best but buying a cheaper combo will allow you to learn the basics just as well as the 400.00 rods will allow you too while also teaching you what you want and dont want in a rod and reel. I would argue it is important also to get a well balanced rod and reel and buying a combo kit will allow you get this which is ESSENTIAL to have!