Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

One from yesterday morning, black and copper bugger, cast upstream and dead drifting was the style of the day. 

IMG-20221008-112446.jpg

13 minutes ago, niveker said:

One from yesterday morning, black and copper bugger, cast upstream and dead drifting was the style of the day. 

IMG-20221008-112446.jpg

Very pretty fish.

Not only a great fish, but I love the image.  It has great composition and the slow shutter speed blur really works here. Nice!

Thanks.

My phone usually takes pretty crappy photos, and I have to sharpen the image and adjust the lighting/contrast/saturation to get them to look decent. This one only needed cropping. 

9 hours ago, niveker said:

IMG-20221008-112446.jpg

Beauty brookie

22 hours ago, niveker said:

IMG-20221008-112446.jpg

Awsome fish and photo!  I was in your neighborhood on Friday  and got this brookie in pool below the spill over from the dam.  

1520061166_SWIFTBONDVILLE10-7-22(1).thumb.JPG.4d6c20f1bee17d866c0accc9d8225d7b.JPG

I may need to remember these 3 from the weekend-  I have a contractor showing up on Wednesday for new windows and siding and I'll be doing all the interior trim along with building a new set of front stairs.  I'm hoping this won't be the end of my season but home projects have a way of taking over life, so we'll see...

1228783558_SWIFT10-6-22.thumb.JPG.67fff63a8defac97f2ee675a5120fda9.JPG

806759534_SWIFT10-6-22(2).thumb.JPG.27c171dc410e53cc4763f416b7a1a34d.JPG

2128214149_SWIFT10-6-22(3).thumb.JPG.74948000846fb1c44d81747678e29dd2.JPG

Not the largest fish in the world but you can't beat the view. Autumn fly fishing in New England is wonderful!

IMG_5034.thumb.JPG.4b0233d048e03e609b5ef8cbbf039ee0.JPG

IMG_5040.thumb.JPG.32b26a8b1ff9c9a6974373b28143cd7d.JPG

14 minutes ago, niveker said:

Nice, @DFoster

Were there many others fishing up there?

I started at the play ground but realized it's too deep to wade.  As I was leaving a guy was putting in a kayak to fish and advised me to walk the rail trail.  on my way  up I passed an old guy spin casting from an over hang, otherwise I had the place to myself.  On my way back from the spill over there were 4 people fishing from shore at the playground.  

What's the deal with the posted sign across the rail trail at the dam?  I noticed a pathway to the right side that followed the water, do you know if that one is open?   I never made it to the abandoned factory.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

4 people fishing from shore at the playground.

Yeah, that's a popular spot for the worm and spin crowds, as is the top of the stone walls on the other side.  The rivers starts to get deep just around the playground there, from the lower dam, but up river a bit you can access from either side with a bit of bushwhacking and/or climbing.  

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

What's the deal with the posted sign across the rail trail at the dam?

Yeah, that's unfortunate.  The guy bought the land and built a house on the hill above the dam about 2 or 3 years ago and put those signs up.  I guess the railroad's right of way didn't transfer, or was lost when the tracks were removed, not sure really.  Nice piece of land, fields were maintained and has a small pond on it with a primitive camp, I would walk my dog up there often until it got posted. The old railbed was well travelled by me and others all the way to the state boat ramp on Cold Spring St, never seemed to be abused with litter, partying, ATVs, and what not.  Previous owner never had a problem with allowing access. 

Any how, yes, you can access the shoreline above the dam for a bit, until you run into his signs again.  I have never fly fished from shore above the dam, only by kayak, too much like a lake.  

I usually cross the river just below the dam pool, its pretty shallow - knee deep at most, and fish that side down a-ways, until the undergrowth gets too thick, (a little ways past where that last photo was taken - I know that old log well), and the river's a little too deep and fast for my liking, so I go back up river to the dam and cross again.   

Glad you got out there and got a few nice fish, fall fishing in New England is pretty sweet. 

Good luck with the home renos.  

3 hours ago, niveker said:

I usually cross the river just below the dam pool, its pretty shallow - knee deep at most, and fish that side down a-ways, until the undergrowth gets too thick, (a little ways past where that last photo was taken - I know that old log well), and the river's a little too deep and fast for my liking, so I go back up river to the dam and cross again.   

Great minds think alike- that's exactly what I did.  I fished the dam pool for a while then crossed below and swung soft hackles and winged wets as I headed down stream.  Switched over to nymphs and worked my way back up to the dam.  After 6 hours I only netted the one brookie but had two others rise hard but miss the fly.  Still a good day and  It's always a joy to fish waters.

In my neck of the woods, sometime about mid October the fish seem to just stop taking my "go to" flys.  It doesn't seem to matter if they are nymphs, wets or dries they just don't want anything to do with them.  Now it's hard to pass over my "go to's" after a season of successes and as I can be ornery and stubborn sometimes I got skunked my last time out.   Saturday morning 2 hours passed without a take, and not just the trout, no Fallfish or even a tiny river Herring.  It was time to change it up.  Last year several members here said to try streamers at this time of year.   I tied on a pair of #10's. A winged wet on the dropper and a bucktail streamer on the point. On the 2nd cast I caught this bow on an Edson Tiger.  The presentation was quartering upstream, dead drifting to a quartering down stream position.  The take happened at the about the 90 degree part of the drift and while it was only one fish, it did save my day.  Some days it only takes one.   Here's a couple of photos -

IMG_E5116.thumb.JPG.301e23511bf4bde5d0dfa3c1ab9c4c2f.JPG

1428696855_IMG_5128(2).thumb.JPG.56ff89a587e7e5c553b23a73daaeeb05.JPG

@DFoster pretty rainbow.  

Had a few minutes before sunset last night to run down to the lake and wet a line below the dam which forms a small pool at the head of the swamp.  A few small and large mouth bass were happy to oblige, all about this size.  

IMG-20221017-122046a.jpg

IMG-20221017-122205a.jpg

IMG-20221017-122308a.jpg

1 hour ago, niveker said:

@DFoster pretty rainbow.  

Had a few minutes before sunset last night to run down to the lake and wet a line below the dam which forms a small pool at the head of the swamp.  A few small and large mouth bass were happy to oblige, all about this size.  

IMG-20221017-122046a.jpg

IMG-20221017-122205a.jpg

IMG-20221017-122308a.jpg

That little pool screams Largemouth!- great looking wet fly.