Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

How the hell do I finish off hackle wraps

Looking for advice on finishing off the hackle wraps on humpies so they are nice and neat.

Please,... And thank you in advance for your words of wisdom.

Looking for advice on finishing off the hackle wraps on humpies so they are nice and neat.

I think we need a bit more information. Ordinarily, the hackle wraps on a Humpy are as easy as, or easier than, on most dry flies. In fact, there really shouldn't be anything in front of the wing to interfere with the hackle collar. A picture would help a lot! Or a description of how you tye your material on the hook.

what rockworm said but you might try finishing your hackle wrap at the bottom of the hook shank and tying off there before creating the head

Ah.... That makes sense... Can't put a pic up just yet, but there is one that I put up in the learn a new pattern swap....

Being a saltwater fisherman mostly I tend to wrap all the way to the hook eye well before finishing the tie...

I Am getting plenty of hackle on there... Tying it in opposite to the way I wrap thread, starting behind the post and working my way forward. I'm probably not leaving myself enough room to finish up properly.

what rockworm said but you might try finishing your hackle wrap at the bottom of the hook shank and tying off there before creating the head

Ah.... That makes sense... Can't put a pic up just yet, but there is one that I put up in the learn a new pattern swap....

Being a saltwater fisherman mostly I tend to wrap all the way to the hook eye well before finishing the tie...

I Am getting plenty of hackle on there... Tying it in opposite to the way I wrap thread, starting behind the post and working my way forward. I'm probably not leaving myself enough room to finish up properly.

that is usually the problem

that is usually the problem

Thanks. The ones I tied tonight look much better as a result of simply giving myself a little more room.

Tying it in opposite to the way I wrap thread, starting behind the post and working my way forward.

I always wrap my hackles the same direction as my thread wraps. That way your thread torque pulls the hackle in the same way it's already going. If everything is good and tight as it should be, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much.

Thanks again got advice fellas! Ended up with a few workable examples in the end that weren't too shabby. Will be tying this one a bit more from here on I think.

Merry Christmas! I'll see you in the new year

Hi Li'lDave,

One technique Gretchen & I use is to tie the hackle on the hook AT THE EYE, wrap the thread back and leave it handing behind the wings then wrap the hackle BACK to meet the thread. Tie off the hackle behind the wings then gently wiggly-wrap the thread forward THROUGH the hackle. After reaching the hook eye wrap a thread head, whip-finish and trim off the thread. Any fibers remaining after trimming off the waste end of the hackle behind the wings will blend with the wrapped hackle and you'll never see them. Take care & ...

to a neat and easy end to my hackle wraps i simply pulla few of the barbs (hairs of the feather) where my thread and the hackle are touching, this way the hakle doesn't go aspew and you can wrap the shaft of the feather around the shank of your hook too, then cover with thread, works every time and this can create a nice looking head in less time once you get the hang of it.

Brad