Fly Tying
Aqueous1025

Deer hair spinning

WOW that GSP is some really tough stuff. I got out a hook and spun hair on it from begining to end to get the hang of it. I tried to break the thread to see how strong it was by tugging at it and it would not break. I tried to give it a bit of a yank and it damn near pulled the hook completely out of the vise and still did not break. I was wondering though it looks like thread when you have untwisted it as it comes off the spool, is it supposed to and should I be introducing a twist to it while I tie?? Also I remember reading somewhere what GSP stood for but I forgot what it said?? I actually had no problems putting deer hair on my hook and packing it tight from rear to front, interesting because I remember having such difficulties when I was younger that I gave up. I did notice though after you pull straight down and it starts to twist it only twist so far around the hook. I figured out that when I wrap a few more tight turns around the hook in that same spot it really spins the hair around a lot to a ball shape (the videos really helped a lot). I am imagining that there is where the difference between stacking and spinning comes from? I am using the 100 denier Ultra GSP from Wapsi.

Thank you guys again

this has been a much easier time than I remember it being when I was younger.

The thread will automatically twist with each turn around the hook. The deer hair tiers of my acquaintance prefer to have the thread flat, as opposed to twisted. In fact, they (as well as myself) periodically let the bobbin simply hang just to let the thread 'untwist' from the torque imposed twist it was subjected to in wrapping around the hook.

My recollection is that GSP stands for: "Gel Spun Polymer",

I got started with Chris Helm's Spinning Hair DVD. It's real good. For material, you can call Chris at his shop and he'll send you good hair for what you need. That's the only place I am getting deer hair now.

This is on my Christmas list. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I use Kevlar thread but you have to be careful. It'll cut through the hair if you apply too much pressure. I'll have to look at the GSP.

Gel Spun Polyethylene... Use it "flat" or untwisted. It is SO much better than Kevlar thread, really no comparison.

Agreed it is NOT essential, and we used other threads for decades. Danville's 210 is probably as good as you will get for deer hair using regular nylon thread. Use whatever you want, but as of now GSP is the best tool for the job.

Thread is a complicated subject, with much personal preference involved. People tied perfectly wonderful flies for centuries(?) with Silk thread, then nylons, polyesters, and other synthetics came on the scene and were for most purposes better in every way. GSP appeared 5 or 6 years ago and quickly became the best deer-hair thread out there for the vast majority of users.

Kevlar is terrible for deerhair work, one of the keys to having the hair flare is thread presure and you can't have the proper pressure with that crap, GX2 first choice then Dansville flat wax 140 denier or better

I got started with Chris Helm's Spinning Hair DVD. It's real good. For material, you can call Chris at his shop and he'll send you good hair for what you need. That's the only place I am getting deer hair now.

Speaking of Chris, does anyone know how he is doing? I know he spent some time in the hospital over the summer, and wondered how things came out.

Blane

I can't remember 100% what the whole conversation was. But about 3 months ago I placed an order with CHRIS and he stated something to the effect that he may be going out of business. I remember hanging up the phone and being bummed about what he had told me.

shane

I tried tying deer hair for the first time today. I was working on a Streaking Caddis. I had the hardest time cinching it down. I was using 100 GSP thread. I wrapped around twice loose and then pulled down hard. For some reason the deer hair would not span out much. Maybe I was too close to the end of the hair or didn't have the right amount? I'm just not sure. I plan to try it again.

Kevlar is terrible for deerhair work, one of the keys to having the hair flare is thread presure and you can't have the proper pressure with that crap, GX2 first choice then Dansville flat wax 140 denier or better

Well, I used what I was taught and the instructor told us to use Kevlar. However, I've been using flat waxed lately.

I did get Chris's spinning video and it's helped. I still have a long way to go before I'm creating on the hook what I have in my head but I'm having fun practicing.

I tried tying deer hair for the first time today. I was working on a Streaking Caddis. I had the hardest time cinching it down. I was using 100 GSP thread. I wrapped around twice loose and then pulled down hard. For some reason the deer hair would not span out much. Maybe I was too close to the end of the hair or didn't have the right amount? I'm just not sure. I plan to try it again.

I know many have suggested GSP thread and thatsnwhat I use, however, when tying small patterns where I'm tying/spinning small heads I go down to a smaller denier. 6/0 or Danville will work fine. If your having a hard time getting the hair to flair you may not be using the right hair or tying it in too close to the tips,photo of your efforts might be helpful

A few years ago while grabbing thread at my fly shop, the owner said 8/0 does great for big bass bugs, and it won't cut your fingers when you pull on it. Another thing to remember is you only have to put enough pressure on the thread to flare the hair. Any more pressure then that is wasted effort. As for the hair, as long as it is stiff hair, it will float. Just remember to clip the tips. If you need a thick body, just stack the hair till you get the thickness your after.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I tried it again and it went a little better. I used 75 GSP thread this time and I also didn't get so close to the end. I think both helped. I'm still unsure of this one, but I have a picture this time. What do you think?

deerhair-2.jpg

I think this is a great topic as a beginner I have questions too, I wanna try to to do some bass poppers and all I have here is bucktail that I was using for some clousers will this work to spin some poppers or do I need to purchase something else?

Savage, do yourself a favor and watch the MAN of deer hair, Chris Helm , He will be the first to tell you that proper materials and TOOLS are key when tying good Bass Bugs.What vice are you using, pedistal or c-clamp. When spinning/stacking you must apply a good amount of pressue and some vices just down have what it takes. Here's a good place to get started http://video.answers.com/deer-hair-varieties-268381574