Thread: UNI 6/0 Olive.

Tail: Olive Marabou Tips.

Body: Twisted Marabou.

Rib: Heavy Gold Wire.

Thorax: Twisted Marabou.

Wing Case: Pheasant Tail.

Eyes: Bead Chain.

Head Cement: Sally Hansen.

Next time I think I'll use black bead eyes instead.

Nice fly. I tie one that's similar but after tying in the tail, I make a marabou rope and wrap it forward. Usually have to do some trimming, but it works pretty well.

I like it. I will try it on the gills in the local small creeks. I agree on the black chain eyes. May also be good on Carp. Thanks for posting.

I tie the same thing with a few changes:

- Dark eyes: black or brown

- I do the twisted rop body like Ditz.

- I add hackle legs.

Same general thing with good results.

Dont wanna fool with all the intermediate wing case business?

Just tie a Briminator and trim away the hackles on top.

Nice fly. Is this designed to ride hook up?

it would the way the beadchain eyes are on top of the shank. Which doesn't make much sense as to why he tied a wing case on top of the shank. Either the eyes need to be on top and won case on bottom or vice-versa because the bottom of the nymph would face up here, but I guess tumbling down in current it wouldn't matter.

Bead chain eyes don't effect the weight distribution enough ... I think the hook bend and point will "keel" this fly point down. But, as you say, Fisher ... tumbling rules out any orientation.

Bead chain eyes don't effect the weight distribution enough ... I think the hook bend and point will "keel" this fly point down. But, as you say, Fisher ... tumbling rules out any orientation.

Yes they do... That's why some flies use beadchain in place of barbell eyes when you want a slower sink, or for shallow water...

Yes they do... That's why some flies use beadchain in place of barbell eyes when you want a slower sink, or for shallow water...

Maybe my experience is different, but I check out all my flies in the water. I'd have to see video or pictures of a fly, like the OP picture, sinking with the hook point up.

I don't tie with barbell eyes, (don't even have any) because most of the water I fish is too shallow to bother with fast sink rates. The only way I can get flies to sink with the hook point up, is to tie "beards" or "wings" on the hook point side. The drag of the wing material offsets the weight of the hook point and they then fall hook point up. I didn't set out to make this fly weedless with by covering the point:

I set out to make it weedless by sinking hook point up. Turns out, it's especially weedless because of both.

But my point is, nothing I tie with bead chain eyes sinks hook point up unless I tie it with the wing.

Maybe my experience is different, but I check out all my flies in the water. I'd have to see video or pictures of a fly, like the OP picture, sinking with the hook point up.

I don't tie with barbell eyes, (don't even have any) because most of the water I fish is too shallow to bother with fast sink rates. The only way I can get flies to sink with the hook point up, is to tie "beards" or "wings" on the hook point side. The drag of the wing material offsets the weight of the hook point and they then fall hook point up. I didn't set out to make this fly weedless with by covering the point:

slow sinking corrected.jpg

I set out to make it weedless by sinking hook point up. Turns out, it's especially weedless because of both.

But my point is, nothing I tie with bead chain eyes sinks hook point up unless I tie it with the wing.

In the morning I will take a picture :)

Took me a while, sorry. Notice how there's no wing on this crawfish carp fly. The beadchain eyes keep it hook point up. :)

Sorry if the image is turned. My phone hates me I swear! :D

image.jpg