Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Savage

thread questions

I got a question that I'm hoping some of you more experienced tyers can help me with. I got a fly tying kit for my birthday and have used it alot and now I've seen some flies in magazines that I wanna tie and they need different color thread than what I have. So my question is do I buy a sprecial type of thread thru J stockard or can i buy sewing thread from the fabric/craft stores?

I got a question that I'm hoping some of you more experienced tyers can help me with. I got a fly tying kit for my birthday and have used it alot and now I've seen some flies in magazines that I wanna tie and they need different color thread than what I have. So my question is do I buy a sprecial type of thread thru J stockard or can i buy sewing thread from the fabric/craft stores?

most general purpose sewing threads are made from polyester and can be pretty thick(large diameter). I have used some on larger flies like streamers and bucktail flies with pretty good success but as a rule I wouldn't use it on small dries or nymph patterns it will build up really quick and thick. You should be able to find just about any type of tying thread you need from J.Stockard or other fly tie suppliers.

Mike

Mike has the truth of the matter....size is a BIG thing in thread, another is durability. Sewing threads don't always hold up to being wet and dry repeatedly as in fishing the fly. JStockard ( a forum sponsor) will have just about any thread you need. I would suggest "googling" a fly thread chart to learn and understand the sizes and strengths of tying thread. I know more experienced tiers will chime in with more thorough advice, but that was my 2 cents

Murray

I'll echo all the good advice already given, but caution you to not worry too much about thread when you are starting out. Just because a pattern calls for 8/0 burnt umber thread does not mean you can't tie the pattern succesfully with 6/0 brown. While I have a pretty large collection of thread, I tie an awful lot of flys using 6/0 black or olive. There are some patterns where thread color is important, and others where it really does not matter. Size can make a big difference, but 6/0 is a pretty good all purpose size. I have started using 14/0 for drys just because it makes it a bit easier to keep things small and compact, and I use 3/0 or monocord for big nymphs and terrestrials, but if I ran out, 6/0 would be fine until I restocked. So if I had to pick a absolute minimum set of tying thread it would be 6/0 olive, black, brown, and a light yellow/cahill. If I wanted to expand on that I would add the same colors in 14/0 and 3/0. Of course, depending on the types of flys you want to tie, your choices might be different.

Mike.

get some 6/0 white thread and a few sharpie pens from walmart and your good to go.

here is some info on threads

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/news/index.php?news=6031

http://frontrangeanglers.com/newsletter/feb05/choosingthread.htm

oh, and yes you can use sewing thread for tying flies! in a pinch!

Thread sizes can be a pretty confusing subject. Chris Helm had a very good article in Fly Tyer Magazine (I think) a while back explaining thread sizes and numbering systems.

I normally use 12/0 for my tying, but then again, I'm usually tying small dry flies, nymphs, and soft hackles, where thread build-up is an issue. I rarely tie big flies like bass bugs, etc., where you would need a stronger thread.

I usually use black, white (which can be colored as noted by rlytire), or red (I use a red head on weighted flies so I can tell them apart in the fly box).

Like most other tiers, I have a good collection of threads, some of which I will probably never use. Take a look at what types of flies you are tying, then get the thread accordingly.

As far as sewing thread, I have used it in a clutch, but it tends to degenerate after being wet/dry a few times.

Hi Savage,

Back in the day (50 years ago) all we had was black thread and our flies worked just fine. We use standard sewing thread when over-wrapping a weighted under body. The unwaxed sewing thread really soaks up head cement to seal the lead wraps to keep them from staining the fly once it gets wet. Take care & ...

in all honesty. i do about all of my tying in an orvis g. i dont know what diameter thats like in other brands, but i fish bass, and i have 3 colors. Black cream and white.. most of the time the dye takes up all the other colors from stains of the fly materials and the cream could be if needed, tied into every fly. if a pattern calls for a certain color, on top of the thread i tye in a very very thin layer of thread that i baught from a store in a variety pack, costed about 2 or 3 dollars. thats me, on tight budget tying. id be much happyer with a large array of colors and sizes, but for 2 dollars, it sure is a lot of flies. with the "g" diameter, i can tye a small head, or i can spin hair, it really doesn't matter what i need it usually gets what i need to have done, done.

Brad

Orvis G thread is pretty big stuff- about like 210 Denier or maybe more. Very strong and good for what it is intended, that being large flies. It's too bulky for smaller flies, say about size 8 or so and smaller. It's simply too big and strong for what's needed.

I always teach people using Danville 3/0 "monocord" flat waxed thread. It's big enough to be strong and not break all the time for beginners, and small enough that it doesn't bulk up too much if you pay attention to how many wraps you do -- make each one have a purpose. Later on, 6/0 is pretty universal except for big bucktails, spinning deer hair, and other large tough jobs.

I could get by just fine for the rest of my life with white thread, because it doesn't affect the color of body materials, and it takes on the color of the underlying materials when it gets wet (either in the water or with head cement.) BUT thread is pretty cheap so when you have the opportunity, pick up some different colors and different types so you know from experience what you like. Thread color is NOT overly important, as others have already pointed out. Having a certain color thread is nice, but in no way mandatory to tie perfectly good examples of any pattern.

Hi,

As you can see, everyone has their own take on tying thread. Myself, I do not consider sewing thread for actual tying. It can be used for bodies or under-body build up. Size of the thread is determined by what you are using it for as well as size of fly. I tie a lot of trout flies ranging between size 10 to 16 and like my threads in sizes 6/0 and 8/0. Using these sizes will assist you in tying less bulkier flies ans smaller heads. You can get away with using white and black threads, but some flies utilize the thread color as an intricate part of the fly body, so in some instances different colors might be needed. It truly depends upon what you are doing or want to do. J. Stockard offers a great selection of tying threads, and would suggest you purchase tying threads from a reputable supplier like them.

Do some research into the patterns you want to tie and see if they require special colored thread. Many flies don't, and as Al has said, black will work fine.

Mark

Thanks for all the info, I understand the sewing thread is no good from your comments but i'm not sure what size thread I should be getting for future projects( I tie alot of bass bugs and streamers)?

bass bugs and streamers is what i do on the orvis g he said 210 deneir, i assume thats right. its pretty thick, but for what i tye, which is never smaller than about a 4x long 4 or a size 2 hook, works great for me. and spinning hair you have to be careful not to break your thread, but its easily possible.