Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nick2011

unusual tying material

I was just woundering if anyone has some unusual tying materials they have come up with that work well.. i get tired of using the same stuff all the time. Unfortunatly my imagineation also runs short sometimes...any ideas?

i get tired of using the same stuff all the time.

I'd say take a browse through JStockard or Fly Tyer's Dungeon, you could probably tie every day for the next ten years and not use the "same stuff" twice.

I have an OLD pair of thick wool socks which are wearing out. The top cuff is knit from really bright red wool which is perfect for the short tail of woolly worms. Sheet foam is a never-ending source of new ideas. Embroidery thread for weaving bodies is something which will keep you occupied for a long time. Married-wing wet flies are always something good to work on, as is spinning/stacking deer hair.

The obvious, of course - dog. I've also used pieces of candy bar wrappers for the wing case on nymphs. Clear plastic from business envelope windows for scud backs. Lots of others. As JSz said, foam from the craft stores. Kinda fun to see what you can substitute for the expensive stuff you buy at the flyshop.

Take a walk through a fabric or craft store, you'll see all kinds of stuff good for tying.

Great advise already! What materials you use really depends on the type of flies you're tying. If you limit yourself, then you're not likely to really get to use much that may be "unusual". I tie mostly saltwater & warmwater flies, and am always seeing stuff I feel I can use to tie flies with. I enjoy seeing the various flies that are presented on this site, and a few others, even if they're not the type that I may normally use. I often get ideas from these other folks on here. For example, I've taken notice of flies tied for Steelhead & Salmon, such as Intruders or some of the big articulated rabbit leeches that I know will work for bass too! Sometimes I'll make some color changes, or substitute materials I already have, but still maintain the basic design of the pattern.

As far as imagination or wanting to tie different patterns, take a look through the pattern database. There's plenty in there to keep you very busy! ;)

Saran Wrap is good to use for tails on dragon flies. I cut it into about 1 1/2 inch wide strips and get (color of choice) perm. marker and make crazy patterns throughout the strip and let dry. Note: do not have to cover entire sheet just squiggles. Twist up the saran wrap several times, let loose and it will wind back on its self and twist some more. After several times of doing this, it makes a good tail for the dragons. Sending a pic in a min.

I have to admit, I've used my beard for streamers ... and no, I won't send you any!

I have to admit, I've used my beard for streamers ... and no, I won't send you any!

That is funny, my beard is similar to the one in your photo and I have thought about it to.

Different types of dusters are good. I picked up a chicken feather duster in LA's Chinatown that has been fun to play with.

Ted Patlin, a Catskill tyer, use all types of fuzzy toys.

The fuzzy toys quite often use reindeer hair. I got some factory cuts from a craft store in Vancouver BC. paid a dollar per piece and I bought alot. very soft and spins better than deer hair. that said, the same store has never gotten the stuff in again. bungee cord from the hardware store is another. if you want to learn about using oddball materials-jay fullum. sometimes known as fishy who posts on here time to time. you tube has his videos. he uses everything and then some. another material is the anti static bags for cpu parts.

marc