Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Flats Fly Swap

Well it was a good session...

Went out with my 2 chosen flies for the swap, in the end only used the flats masters, and both were destroyed... the first by a longtom, and the other is now a lip piercing on a "brown bastard" (painted sweetlip). (the other fly in the pic is a large clouser from the twin clouser swap last year, I had that on my 10wt but it didn't get used.)

post-22241-0-03441900-1326014758_thumb.jpg

A couple of minor alterations and they'll be good to go <_<

Also ran into one of these...

post-22241-0-61801300-1326014826_thumb.jpg

the fly in the gob of what some of the locals here call "Flats marlins"

post-22241-0-13588900-1326015216_thumb.jpg

I will play even though I live about a bazillion miles away from any flats. Forrest

I hear you Forrest, where I live we call the flats a prairie:-).

Li'lDave, are we sure we want the Bunny Leech tied with dumbbell eyes? I just tied a prototype and tested it in the sink and it plunges straight down. Tied on a 2/0 hook. With regular eyes it still sinks well but is more neutral. If I were fishing this in deep water like a lake the dumbbell eyes would be great but I'm not so sure about the flats.

Oh man, those are some nasty teeth! I wish I could hand deliver the flys to you, that looks like great fun. I don't think any of my flies has ever caught a fish in Australia so I'm hoping you can do it for me Li'lDave.

Ahh, looking closer at the pic I see you're using dumbbell eyes so that may have answered my previous question, or are those bead chain eyes?

They're 'eyeballz' ... The trick being that we want the fly to sink quickly most of the time so we put as much weight as possibke in the fly. This one also has lead wire wrapped around the shank for extra weight.

If you want to tie sonething with bead chain thats ok too... I'd probably use it on cruising fish

Thanks Dave. I'll probably do a merkin type crab fly for one, not sure about the other yet.

Hey eaglerapids. If youre happy with beadchain on the leach go for it.... There are always times a slower sinking fly is needed....

Lets get into it!

Oh, sorry, I didn't reply before Li'lDave. I will tie the Leech with the dumbbell eyes. I have little experience fishing these flys which prompted my question. I wanted to be sure what was the best solution. Which brings up a question on the Cockroach. I can weight the body but I wonder if that would affect the balance or I could add eyes to it but would it still be a Cockroach?

Never tied it... But if the weight is even then I would say that the balance should be fine.

Hang in there Jax... There may be room for you yet.

If the others dont mind im happy for an additional tier, and for each of us to tie an additional set.

Fellas.. This ok with you?