Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

0.10 Mylar Question

I have the book tying flies for bass and panfish by dick stewart and ferrow allen. In the book there are several patterns that call for 0.10 mylar to make the diving lip. I have googled the mylar with no results can some one point me in the direction on where I can find the 0.10 mylar? Any help would great. Thanks

well there are two main types of mylar. The one that is just a flat strand similar to flash and then there is mylar tubbing (also called mylar cord) which i am assuming is the one you need. Here are some places to buy it http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/SM-750140-0000/search/Hareline-Holographic-Mylar-Cord.html http://www.basspro.com/Mylar-Cord/product/25211/57003

How are they using the mylar? Can you describe the process or instructions? Are they using the mylar as the primary structural material or just as the shiny coat on the surface?

Deeky

That mylar is simply plastic sheet, like what you might find in a new dress shirt collar to keep it's shape. I'm not sure about that thickness, but mylar is produced in many thicknesses. Any place that sells supplies for graphic arts would likely have sheet mylar. Some artist supply or even some crafts stores may also have it. Packaging material, like some of the clam shell types that is used to package some tools or toys, which is often a thicker plastic, and it's cheap, is a good alternative to sheet mylar. I've used plastic packaging several times for various epoxy fly projects I've attempted, but never tried any diving lips! I would however bet it would work. :)

i guess some didnt see this in the original post

In the book there are several patterns that call for 0.10 mylar to make the diving lip.

save yourself some time and buy some "fly lips"

stonefly-wobble-fly-lips.jpg

i guess some didnt see this in the original post

In the book there are several patterns that call for 0.10 mylar to make the diving lip.

save yourself some time and buy some "fly lips"

Yes, but I don't see 0.10 mylar in the book. The Bett's Bullit-Heads on pgs 2 and 31 call for 0.01 mylar. I can't find a pattern calling for 0.10 mylar. BTW, I have nothing against the commercial product "FlyLips" but like Bigfoot I prefer to do it myself. Especially when it is so easy to cut the lips exactly the size and shape you need.

Those of you that like to make your own have my respect and admiration. I, on the other hand side with flytire. I can make a great looking lip but to get the consistency in the curvature has been problematic for me. Some track great while others tend to track right or left. If you get that mylar lip to track straight consistently, please share your technique.

The suggestion of buying them premade was for the benefit of the original poster and he should be able to choos if he wants to or not. It is an alternative and there are other materials that can be used.

If I recall correctly, betts was making them out of plastic coffee can lid also

Go to staples and get some plastic page dividers and make some up

Hey guys thanks for all of the help. I did make a mistake in my original post I put the decimal in the wrong place I am looking for 0.010 Mylar sheets. Thanks rock worm for pointing that out. I apologize for the mistake.

Any thin plastic sheeting will work, and it does NOT have to be clear. The shirt collar stays, as mentioned, work quite well, as does the plastic from hook boxes, etc. Just be resourceful and use what ever thin sheet plastic you might have, or can put your hands on.

rockworm:

It is 'used' on several of the "Floating Bugs" at the beginning of the patterns.

jerker

I am a strong proponent of substitution- especially when I don't have the exact material specified. But I do believe in following a creator's recipe as closely as possible the first couple of times so I know what the original results should be. Once I think I know the pattern I feel free to play with the ingredients to see if I can make improvements. (BTW- this is my philosophy for cooking as well as for tying flies. Believe me- it can be a BIG mistake to substitute ingredients the first time you bake a cake!) I have used the shirt collar plastic thingies, and yoghourt container tops, and other bits of plastic for these flies. In fact, you probably should match the thickness of the plastic to the size of the fly you are tying.

Hey guys thanks for all of the help. I did make a mistake in my original post I put the decimal in the wrong place I am looking for 0.010 Mylar sheets. Thanks rock worm for pointing that out. I apologize for the mistake.

No need to apologize. I am glad you caught your error before you headed out to the crafts store to buy 0.1 mylar. I would hate to think of you at your vise tying 3/0 Bullit Heads. (Might be good for shark or marlin, though!)

LOL

Funny thing I called a few craft stores and none of them stocked mylar that thick. Thanks for all of the help guys. BF