Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eagles_8804

Materials needed for beginner?

Hey everyone, I am eagles, I have minor experience with fly tying and I am looking to break out into the fly tying scene. I still have some patterns memorized (although I never really tied them). Here is a list of the flies I am looking to tie:

Nymphs

-Brassie

-Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

-Copper John

-Pheasant Tail

-Black Stonefly

-Yellow Stonefly

-Peeking Caddis

-Emergent Sparkle Pupa

-Killer Green Caddis

Wet Flies

-Griffith's Gnat

-Fergusun

-Last Chance

-Leadwing Coachman

-Royal Coachman

Streamers

-Bead Head Wooly Bugger

-Muddler Minnow

-Clouser Minnow

-Matuka

-Grey Ghost

-Mickey Finn

-Black Ghost

Dry Flies

-Adams

-White Wulff

-Light Cahill

-Royal Wulff

-Green Royal Wulff

-Yellow Humpy

-Mosquito

-Green Drake Wulff

-Black Gnat

-Blue Dunn

-Light Hendrickson

-Dark Hendrickson

-Stimulator

Terrestrials

-Beetles

-Ants

-Dave's Hopper

-Crickets

I know the list is extensive and vast for a beginner and doesn't include midges (except for the Griffiths Gnat), but I want to be able to tie these patterns and fill my box with these. Please help me compile a "shopping list" of recommended materials and supplies. Thank you much in advance.

P.S. I know what I am talking about as i have been fly fishing for years, just not tying my flies and would like to start so please don't go jumping ahead saying that's too big of a list and so on.

wow. that's a lot of fly patterns. I would google each pattern for the recipe and then add the items to your cart from Jstockard. they will probably have all of the materials for those patterns.

YOU need to find each recipe and buy the materials listed.

I agree. You apparently have a computer and can post extensive lists of patterns you want...tons of sites available. YOU need to compile your own list and figure out what YOU need. EACH fly recipe lists exactly the materials needed for said fly. Get busy and then get tying

I agree. You apparently have a computer and can post extensive lists of patterns you want...tons of sites available. YOU need to compile your own list and figure out what YOU need. EACH fly recipe lists exactly the materials needed for said fly. Get busy and then get tying

OBVIOUSLY. I have already begun that. Thank you for being of no help at all.

If you read carefully it said HELP, not completely do it for me.

Well then not a great way to start your time on FTF. There is a database here on this site with some great patterns put together by some of the best tyers anywhere and they/I all started out the same way researching, testing and failing till u get a pattern just perfect and catch a fish what a feeling. What I would suggest is u do your research ask a question if u need something but don't just group 3 boxes of flies together and say help. u need to be creative and see what u come up with. Several materials can be substituted for others. Craft stores have an amazing selection of stuff, wander the aisles after u have made a list of patterns and let the imagination work.

Well then not a great way to start your time on FTF. There is a database here on this site with some great patterns put together by some of the best tyers anywhere and they/I all started out the same way researching, testing and failing till u get a pattern just perfect and catch a fish what a feeling. What I would suggest is u do your research ask a question if u need something but don't just group 3 boxes of flies together and say help. u need to be creative and see what u come up with. Several materials can be substituted for others. Craft stores have an amazing selection of stuff, wander the aisles after u have made a list of patterns and let the imagination work.

Thank you chris, but yes ik, what a start -__- regardless, thank you

Hi Eagles, we are here to help each other and the system is working very well. I think we can all appreciate your enthusiasm, most of us share it with you. If a tier has a question about a fly it usually gets answered promptly and thoroughly. Coming in with almost fifty is a lot to ask all at once. Suggesting you do your own research initially is reasonable, and when you have specific questions, please ask them. Please remember, the real pros in here never NEED to go to the beginners corner, they do so to help and encourage folks like you. Most fish or tie for a living and are paid for those efforts. This is a way for you to learn for free, I hope you can appreciate the information that is shared but not owed.

There are some pretty wide variations on a lot of those patterns, even the traditional ones. The Clouser Minnow for example is traditionally tied with buck tail but a lot of people tie it with other stuff too. For small ponds and such, I prefer to tie it with arctic fox fur. I have seen as many variations in tail materials for the dry flies as I have seen tying instructions for them. The Royal Coachman for example, I have seen tied with a tail of golden pheasant neck fibers, moose hock, elk hock, hackle fibers and several other things. As such, 5 different people could give you 5 pretty different lists of materials for the same list of flies. You gotta figure out which iterations of these flies you want to tie. I would recommend reading up on our book reviews and selecting one that has a lot of the patterns you want to tie in it and go with those materials and then when you know what you like, adjust the materials to suit you.

Personally I prefer the Charlie Craven books because there are a lot of patterns in them, the step by step is very well done and the photography is great. He also provides variations on the fly after each set of tying instructions.

eagles, as has been said, you're asking a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but fact is many of us do not have the time to make up such an extensive list. However, as these others have mentioned, this site is about helping.

Do you know how to do a spread sheet? List your patterns down one side & materials across the top, or anyway you wish. Take one pattern at a time & list the recipe materials. Eventually, you'll see a pattern as some materials are used in multiple recipes. Once you complete the spreadsheet you can compile your list of materials, and buy more of those materials that are specified in multiple patterns, less of those you'll use less. Otherwise, you'll buy a lot of materials you might not need, and I'm sure you're on some type of budget as most of us are!

This is something I did when I tied commercially, and I found it to be very useful for buying materials & keeping track of what I bought.

eagles, as has been said, you're asking a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but fact is many of us do not have the time to make up such an extensive list. However, as these others have mentioned, this site is about helping.

Do you know how to do a spread sheet? List your patterns down one side & materials across the top, or anyway you wish. Take one pattern at a time & list the recipe materials. Eventually, you'll see a pattern as some materials are used in multiple recipes. Once you complete the spreadsheet you can compile your list of materials, and buy more of those materials that are specified in multiple patterns, less of those you'll use less. Otherwise, you'll buy a lot of materials you might not need, and I'm sure you're on some type of budget as most of us are!

This is something I did when I tied commercially, and I found it to be very useful for buying materials & keeping track of what I bought.

Reminds me of a time when this kid asked me to help him change his tire on his car. I got out the jack, spare, wrench etc and then looked at him as he sat in his seat TEXTING...help? No he said help but had it confused with do it for me. Instead of doing basic research Eagle, you wanted them to list it FOR YOU. The way you asked the question and the list you threw out SHOWED that to be the case. Sorry you feel like you got no help whatsoever but what I see is that you got a ton of INSTRUCTION...what you do with that knowledge is up to you. You can use it and say thanks or you can keep expecting everyone to do it for you and complaining when you don't get your way. I am done with this topic...moving on to a better use of my time.

Nymphs

-Brassie: Copper wire (get if from an old electrical cord,) and peacock herl.

-Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear: Hair's ear dubbing (Hairline Hairtron would work,) Pheasant tail for the wing case. Gold wire (I just use copper wire.)

-Copper John: Copper wire pheasant tail peacock herl, and pearl christmas tree tinsel

-Pheasant Tail Pheasant tail, copper wire, peacock herl

-Black Stonefly: Black yarn, copper wire,Grizzly saddle hackle (Brooks Stonefly nymph)

-Yellow Stonefly: Dirty yellow yarn, copper wire, brown saddle hackle.

-Griffith Gnat: Peacock herl. organza ribbon (rib is made from a single 4" strand of the nylon fiber,) and grizzly neck hackle. These are usually fished as a dry fly.

These should get you started in rounding up materials. Then I think a trip to the library to do some research would be in order.