Fly Tying
Flies & Photos

Speckled Trout Fly SWAP

Howdy fellow tiers! If we can get 8 tiers, including myself, let's do a swap for the spawning sow speckled trout that will be moving into shallow water over the next 2 to 3 months (at least here in Texas). Any pattern you each like for the big ones is fine. Any size fly or color will do. Due date will be dependent on when we close the swap.

God Bless.

Dave

FULL SWAP

1. Dave (flies & photos)

2. agn54

3. nightheron

4. pawleysi

5. Panama Red

6. JaxFlyTyer

7. Chefben4 - flies received

8. lykos33 - flies received

Count me in, sounds like a great idea. Not sure about the fly yet, I'll have to think about it

Just wanted to bring this thread back up in case some folks missed it. Hard to believe only three people chase specs. I live in Tennessee but speckled trout food isn't completely dissimilar to bass food. I catch trout, stripers, smallmouth and big river carp on the same flies I catch specs on. Don't let the salt keep you out of this swap. How was the sales

pitch? Lol

Speckled trout in Tennessee? Sure ya don't mean "specs" as in speckled perch? Course they like minnows and so do speckled trout, but I think the salt water Speckled trout would prefer a pinfish or baby mullet. Ifns I was down south I would jump on a sow trout swap, unfortunately, there aint a speckled trout anywhere near Nova Scotia... :lol:

I appreciate you trying to straighten me out on my "specks" but I was definitely referring to speckled sea trout. I fish for them in Florida often. They eat pilchards that look like freshwater shad, they eat pin fish and pig fish which look kind of like a pale bluegill. So many bass lures look nothing like freshwater prey but they eat them anyway. Yes, I think all but shrimp patterns would cross over and in muddy conditions I bet a bass could mistake a shrimp for a crayfish. I understand your fish might not want to eat these kritters but I think you would be surprised at how many different species we can catch on "speck" flies.

You're correct! I just read "live in Tennessee" and assumed you were talking about "specks" as in perch, never stopping to think that you may actually fish somewhere besides Tennessee... :lol: I know while living in Florida,39 years, we often caught seatrout on our bass plugs. Certain times of the year, in Tampa area and in the Panama City area, the trout seem to go on a binge and eat literally anything that doesn't out swim them...wish I had known about fly fishing then :lol:

we have been SPANKING them on DOA shrimp this winter. best year ever here but they shut off a couple weeks ago so im riding the bench. yes i resort to the spinning rod especially in the yak. i am still dangerous with the flyaking combo but i plan to do mobettuh. i have been playing with a DOA shrimp pattern and the back issue of hatches i just got gave me some new ideas with beads. i like everything about swaps except running them. it is like herding cats with firecrackers. count me in and thanks for herding, i mean heading, this up.

hutch

pawleys island