Fly Tying

I went fishing today in some clear water ponds. I didn't land any fish, but had some interest. I managed to break off a very big large mouth and had a couple others inhale my flies but didn't set the hook fast enough. Had a few more followers.

Also was using my new Wonderline Trout Powertaper and Class V sink tip lines. Both lines casted good and the Powertaper worked exactly the way I needed it (able to turn over weighted flies but still easily turn over small flies), picked up easily, very shootable, and floated high.

But anyway.. The fish were sluggish but hungry. The fly I had gotten broke off and had the most interest in from the fish was a bendback with chain-bead eyes, black back, copper flash for a lateral line, and a white under belly. It still didn't seem like it was the right pattern or maybe there could have been a more productive pattern. I found the strip-strip-pause was the way to get interest with long pauses looked like it made them want to suck the fly up but just not quiet besides a few hits. I found the most responsive thing was the sink tip line with a San Juan worm. I only got to make a complete cast and retrive twice before the fly fell apart (Chennille won't hold up so suggestions for its place would be appreciated). But they had there noses glued to the fly the whole time lol.

Do you guys use scents to help? What is your go to fly when the fishing is tough (for bass, also specify if it works more so for rivers/clear water lakes/stained water lakes)? Any special strategies in finding fish or getting them bite once found?

I'm not sure what size san Juan worm you a re tying for bass.....? I've never tied one bigger than a size 12-14....... I anchor the worm with thread in two spots on the hook and then burn the dangly end of the chenille to stop the fraying........as far s go to flies for bass, I've always had good luck with simple buck tail streamers, clousers, and bunny strip leeches.....as far as a senior style fly, one that I discovered last year that I was very happy with that is a very simple tie is the Shannon streamer that I found on www.flyfishohio.com........unfortunately, I am on my iPad and havenot perfected the cut and paste with it yet.....if you go to that website, look on the left hand side of the homepage and click on fly videos......then scroll down to the Shannon streamer....I hope this helps

Mike

If you are fishing for bass in a pond, that greatly limits the forage they typically see. In my experience, juvenile bluegill comprise the majority of their diet. If a smaller minnow is heavily prevalent then that would be my other choice. Cold

water equates to a slower metabolism in both the bass and it's prey so winter presentations should be slower. Because they will nose a fly frequently when they are sluggish, it helps to tie as realistically as possible. Strip set your fly hard, they have a remarkably hard mouth.

+2 on the shannon's streamer. I haven't fished it yet but I tied some up about a week ago. Used white and olive colored Yarn/Chennile. If you want a couple of feet of the yarn let me know. I have more than I'll ever use.

Send me a direct email to [email protected]

Dirk

When they are picky and tight lipped, I like streamer patterns that suspend and hang in the water well when you pause them. The EP streamers and standard Murdich Minnows are good at this. The Murdich is my new favorite "slump busting" streamer. It always seems to produce for me and can be fished and tied in many ways. Slap a Fish Skull on it and it will go deeper. Tie it weightless and it suspends well when paused. Add a rattle if you want, etc...

I second the Murdich minnow great all around fly in murky water add a rattle in clear water just let the flash work its magic add a bit of epoxy to the head and it gives you a nose down vertical drop which has been the ticket for me last year huge takes on the pause just as the fly started to nose down

it helps to tie as realistically as possible.

Realism to us & to the fish may be two different things. I'll agree, but realistic movement to me is more important than actual physical appearance.

I've not done much cold water fishing as I've gotten older. Two lures popular with the hardware anglers, and something I've used a lot when I did fish cold water, are hair jigs & suspending jerk baits, both of which work well.

I'll add my vote for the Murdich Minnows, but would also add that small crayfish patterns fished very slowly along the bottom may also be productive, particularly on warmer days. Try tying a Squimp, or something with a bit of rabbit strip on a size 4 hook in an appropriate craw color to match the locals! :)

With all due respect to Tidewater, as one who has guided for largemouth, smallmouth and striped bass in cold water environments for the last 34 years I can attest to a couple of things. One, he is absolutely correct about the necessity of lifelike movement. However, under the specific conditions you mentioned, I would consider appearance equally critical. Pond fish tend to get a lot of pressure. Fish that inspect your fly as closely as you described are seeing it very clearly. It isn't a coincidence that lifelike finishes on conventional lures have become the mainstay of professional bass anglers everywhere. They have keen vision when close to their prey and I have had many experiences when the same exact fly in a different color scheme is the one they want. I can only explain that by physical appearance. So I'd say we are both accurate in suggesting lifelike moving and lifelike appearing flies for your application. My gut instinct still tells me bluegill patterns.

The respect is mutual! :D I've been chasing the same species for over 45 years, but have to admit, the waters I've fished most are not all that clear, and as I stated previously, it's been awhile since I've fished truly cold water. I will however concur on the Bluegill pattern, and Murdich Minnows, as well as other styles of flies can be tied in those colors. I've done quite well in some local ponds & our tidal rivers with Bluegill colored crankbaits, as well as flies! Nothing wrong with trying some variety to see which they want! :)

I think maybe you should invite tidewater and Nightheron over for a pond fishing basstravaganza. I bet between the three of us we could figure those rascals out. How was that for a shameless attempt to sneak on your pond? Lol

I've nabbed a few nice bass on big old woolly buggers too.

+1 on rattles though. I've added rattles or Wapsi prop blades to various flies and my murky water catch rate soared. :D

You should try using ultra chenille on your san juans. It's basically a single string coated in material, where rayon consists of materials caught between two strings and twisted together.