Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Albino Trout

The Golden Trout thread prompts me to ask about experiences with the Albinos stocked ion many streams here in the east. And they call Muskies "fish of a thousand casts"! The Albinos are so pronounced agaisnt the streambeds that noone misses them and everyone throw the entire contents of their fly boxes at them. Oh, the wasted hours! Having seen it all twice at leaast, they thus are damn hard to catch. Many are BIG too so the frustration point is reached early. I'd bet more bad language is expended on them than in the first week of boot camp.

I have succeeded with s few monsters and usually by going very fine fropm the start with a small -- sixe 16 -- red maribou mini leech of all things. One or two casts is all you get though before they go back into lock jaw.

Rocco

Here in Pennsylvania they call them "Palomino" trout, or "Golden Rainbow" trout. I believe they are some sort of rainbow and golden trout hybrid. My Dad called them "Banana Trout" because most of them are bright yellow. I think they're hard to catch because they get hammered so hard right away- the majority of them are caught in the first 5 minutes of the regular season. Tomorrow 0800 is the "opener" of the regular trout season here- it's always a total circus.

that was a prophetic post... my son and I went to a mid-section piece of the Yellow Breeches which is near home on Saturday morning. I was fishing some of my own hardware spinners, which include a fly I usually tie on a 3366A hook especially for building spinners, so don't try to shoot me for using spinning gear-- Mom wants me to bring her trout to fry up like back in the old days, so we were keeping some, 5 fish being the daily limit. It's a put-and-take fishery. The first day of the regular trout season is a freak-show around here. I netted my fifth fish and it flipped back out into the stream when the lure got tangled in the net. "I guess I'm not done" I told my son. I switched to a gold spinner with a black fly, just because I don't usually use gold, I prefer silver, but what the heck we were catching quite a few fish and most other people weren't. I snapped it through a deep hole on the other side of the creek, and hooked this:

post-10077-0-42808000-1333320351_thumb.jpg

That's one wicked lookin' trout Joel, of course ANY trout would look nice to me about now...day 2 of season and I have to wait till the 5th to get my !@$!$ license... :lol:

Murray

how do they fight compared to browns & bows?

About the same, couldn't feel any difference.

I also caught a 14" brown that morning which appeared to be a hold-over, it had all it's fins fully intact, beautiful markings, and fought very well. Usually fresh hatchery fish of that size have some obvious wear on their tail, and quite often a pectoral fin clipped or just weird looking.

JSzymczyk,

I used to fish the Breeches a lot too and most of the time those fish were more of a yelow/white neon color than the gold one in your picture. Nice fish.

Rocco

All a palomino trout is is a rainbow without its normal coloration, they aren't hybrids. They're bred for their color, (though God knows why) just like some breeds of dogs. If they seem hard to catch, it's probably because you can see the fish, whereas you won't be able to spot a normal rainbow if it's not feeding. I'm sure its wariness is a result of being pounded by everybody who comes along. You don't see "sports" like that in the wild, because their chances of survival would be zero.

I snagged a small yellow brookie last year. Wish I had a picture but its belly and sides were yellow while it's back was a light olive. Had all the same markings as a normal brookie as well.