Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

Midge Size

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

I was just wondering what you think the best size of hook to use for midges. I've had lots of luck with "giant" midges( size 14) as well as very small ones ( size 20 and below), and just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thank you,

Carson LeBoeuf

As you noted, there is no one right answer. On some stillwaters I fish, a size 12 seems about right. On some streams a size 20 seems too big.

Depends on the waters you fish and how far north you are fishing. The farther north the bigger the midge. I find size 18 to be the right size for the areas I fish but I have seen chironomids and midges so small they look like ground pepper.

Well, yesterday, a size 24 was about twice as big as most of the midges I saw on the water. But on some stillwaters I fish, a size 12 is a good match. I fish streams with size 20 and 22 mostly, and a size 12 or 14 on stillwaters.

I would agree with Utyer and FishDragon, but I prefer a size 16 or 18 for testing new waters

On the rivers I fish the most, In late winter/early spring I find I am most often reaching for a black or dun midge adult in sizes 20-22. I use AK Best's pattern for adult midges (see the book AK's fly box for tying instructions and materials) and they work great here in Northern Colorado. I tie these in cream and olive as well, and tie them down to a size 26, but the only times I've really needed the smaller sizes have been on Cheesman Canyon of the South Platte, and on the Green river below Flaming Gorge. The fish really key on little bugs in both of these spots! I rarely fish still water for trout, but the few times I've fished to midge hatches in lakes, I've done best with cluster patterns like the griffith's gnat in 16-18.

Wiper DOg

In my area, east TN., size 20 and 22 are probably the most used but because they don't grab much meat, I tie them on a size 16 or 18. You just tie it small because the fish only look at the fly and not the hook.

I'm in KY, what size midge would be good for here? I fish mainly the red river and the streams coming off of it, and I occasionaly get to go to NC and fish the Natahala for trout and carp (redhorse). Does anyone have a chart for midge sizes according to area? That would be great. Thanks. (am i alowed to ask this question on a poll?)

I fish a lot of tail waters in Colorado and I like to use 26 and 28's but I use a lot 20-24 range also.. it just depends on how active your fish are at different times of the year.. colder the water the smaller the bug..

I generally tie chironomids in sizes 18-28. Unless of coarse im doing buzzers, then there in size 10-16. For whatever the reason trout love big buzzers. :)

For most of the TAIL waters I fish, on a regular basis, in the Eastern Sierras...#16-#22 work best. I fish Midges year round because the Trout eat them all year long. An interesting pattern that Sierra Guide, Tom Loe came up with, is his "Broken Back" series...which uses two hooks (one cut at the bend)...they do work well...

http://sierradrifters.com/fly-sales-new

PT/TB ;)

I am impressed that you could see anything half the size of a 24... I usually just get annoyed when the bugs that small are flying up my nose because there always seem to 1,000,000 of them.

Well, yesterday, a size 24 was about twice as big as most of the midges I saw on the water. But on some stillwaters I fish, a size 12 is a good match. I fish streams with size 20 and 22 mostly, and a size 12 or 14 on stillwaters.

Just be sure to tie a fly that matches the hook size.... no sense tying a #20 fly on a #24 hook....... Here's a simple pattern: try a #26 hook with a white thread body, color the thread wuth a black Sharpie and wind over the white to make your segmentation, now dub some hare's ear and pick it out a bit... the simplest midge you'll ever make and very effective.