Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Thinking outside the box for carp...

...and outside the bag, too. The Cheetos bag, that is. I was near one of my favorite places to target big carp where they are fed on a daily basis, doing a little recon for next Saturday's outing. Hey, I only have to watch big fish eat Cheetos once to realize I may need to take advantage of the Cheetos hatch. ;)

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

I layered up some craft foam for an underbody and to make sure she'll float, then dubbed over that with an orange nymph dubbing.

DSC_0189.jpg

Great pics! That Cheeto fly should work great.

Also, you could just try casting any fly in to the gaping mouths kind of like a reverse ring toss game at a festival.

Kirk

I think you better patent that cheetos fly. It looks like a killer. BTW what does a cheetos nymph look like? :D

I think you better patent that cheetos fly. It looks like a killer. BTW what does a cheetos nymph look like? :D

And it looks like it might make a great "goose fly" as well! I have had loons and gulls pick up a baitfish fly down here in Florida, but never caught a goose before!

LMAO!!!

Great minds at work and the Cheetos fly has been invented! Nice. I rember sitting down eating at the River Place restuarant in WV one day and the people were throwing french fries out the water and big carps, small mouth and largemouth were fighting over them! Freaking unreal and now have a simple foam fry fly so it all its need is some grease.LOL

BTW that some cool pictures.

And it looks like it might make a great "goose fly" as well! I have had loons and gulls pick up a baitfish fly down here in Florida, but never caught a goose before!

You know, in my 2 previous outings there in my kayak, I had a duck issue the first trip and a goose issue on the second. The goose was easily scared off, all I had to do was raise the paddle and shake it a little. The duck was much more persistent, and I thought it might end up getting itself hooked, but I finally scared it off.

love the pics kind of reminds me of a fishing trip I took about 10 yrs ago I was in Idaho falls Idaho right down town I had casted every fly I had in my vest at some cruising cut throat trout and didn't even get a look this kid maybe 12 years old if that walks up with a zebco 33 and a bag of colored mini marshmallows digs through the bag gets out a bright green one puts it on the hook first cast catches an 18 inch cutty digs in again pulling out the green one casts out again with similar results I being the inquisitive person I am ask him why he only uses the green ones he smiled and said "because sir the fish wont eat any other color and my sister likes the pink ones" I spent a week out there and to my surprise the only thing them down town cuttys would eat was green mini marshmallows

*Update*

It works. :)

IMGP3516.jpg

IMGP3517.jpg

IMGP3519.jpg

IMGP3520.jpg

The cover there is incredibly nasty, a mix of rock, wood, and concrete. In that spot, when the water is dirty enough that I can get away with it, I use a hard core leader setup. It's 6' of 20lb mono blood knotted to 30lb PowerPro braid. Without it, I'd lose every fish I hooked.

Those fish must be hungry, I've never managed to raise carp when the ducks are in the swim. Only after they leave. It's good to see you're thinking of how you're going to land the fish rather than being happy to leave them trailing weak leaders about.

Do you need to throw some cheetos out to bring them up or is a single fly enough?

Those fish must be hungry, I've never managed to raise carp when the ducks are in the swim. Only after they leave. It's good to see you're thinking of how you're going to land the fish rather than being happy to leave them trailing weak leaders about.

Do you need to throw some cheetos out to bring them up or is a single fly enough?

The first fish I hooked I had only tossed a couple to see if the fish were there. It's so muddy there right now you couldn't see the fish unless they were feeding on the surface. After the commotion of the 1st fish, I tossed some in to get them back. After landing the second fish, the area was pretty well blown. I managed to hook one last fish and lost it but the activity went way, way down.

whats next doritos for bass and funions for crappie,good idea nice fly

Great story and pictures!! Thanks. If you make a Dorito fly, what do you use to imitate the dip? <_< Pymatuming Lake on the OH/PA border had so many carp that the ducks would walk in the backs of the carp to get to the goodies you would throw. Got to get a carp on the fly this year!