Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JD45

Oh that smell

Having recently converted my 401K into feathers and fur, y'all convinced me to practice safe material storage...I have placed mothballs in all of my storage drawers no matter what type of material is contained within, now the whole house smells like a Rolling Stones concert ;)

Question...I placed 3-4 balls wrapped in a coffee filter in all my drawers. Will this be effective, or do I need to place my materials in sealable tubs for the mothballs to work properly, and are you sure the smell won't effect fish catching?

Thanks...dave

Smells like a Rolling Stones concert? I don't think those are moth balls, Dave :D Just don't let the cops see you're tying area :lol:

how 'bout WASH THE DAMN STINKY THINGS!!!

Calf tails, or any tails with the bone in can't really be tanned or cured totally well. I have taken calf tails and thoroughly washed them in warm water and shampoo, then dried them immediately with towels and a hair dryer, then left them outside in dry weather for a day or more to let the skin and tissue around the bone dry again. it works OK. Same with bucktails which have a stink. It is easier with bucktails because they don't have the bone and should be pretty much free of tissue other than skin.

The bucktails I have processed myself, and that is quite a few, DO NOT STINK AT ALL. They are skinned, scraped, then given a good wash in Woolite or unscented shampoo (it is amazing how much dirt and crap comes out!) then dried with a hair dryer and comb, then pinned down on cardboard and dehydrated with borax. I have some pieces of tail 20 years old which have no odor at all. Same treatment to squirrel tails. I F-ing hate seeing good squirrel tails dried with the bone and muscle tissue left in. It takes about 2 minutes to unzip a squirrel tail and dry it correctly.

It's all about how they are handled immediately after being killed.

It's all about how they are handled immediately after being killed.

JS...

All well and true. However, how many tiers kill their own deer, squirrels, or calves? Most have to deal with 'store-bought' materials that come with the 'stink' still incorporated.

Cheers!

Frank

PS: You have a PM.

Question...I placed 3-4 balls wrapped in a coffee filter in all my drawers. Will this be effective, or do I need to place my materials in sealable tubs for the mothballs to work properly, and are you sure the smell won't effect fish catching?

Thanks...dave

I'm led to believe the moth balls have to be a confined environment for the vapour to work. A moth ball just loose in a cupboard for example won't work. I've left moth balls in muslin cloth in a non-airtight box and after 5 years when I was hunting in boxes the muslin still smells strongly but the balls have gone. I tend to leave natural materials in ziplock bags with a ball at the bottom and the synthetics I just leave alone. I did start putting small pieces of ball in my fly boxes but they aint air tight and the bits disappear so stopped doing that. Didn't notice it affected the fishing.

Smells like a Rolling Stones concert? I don't think those are moth balls, Dave :D Just don't let the cops see you're tying area :lol:

Andy, when i was young the smell of natures finest would permeate a good concert, however, at my current well seasoned state I am more like to smell mothballs :D Considering the Kiss concert in Orlando come July, all depends if I get my new rascal scooter chair by then.

Thanks...dave

I'm led to believe the moth balls have to be a confined environment for the vapour to work. A moth ball just loose in a cupboard for example won't work. I've left moth balls in muslin cloth in a non-airtight box and after 5 years when I was hunting in boxes the muslin still smells strongly but the balls have gone. I tend to leave natural materials in ziplock bags with a ball at the bottom and the synthetics I just leave alone. I did start putting small pieces of ball in my fly boxes but they aint air tight and the bits disappear so stopped doing that. Didn't notice it affected the fishing.

I was wondering about that...My materials don't stink up the room I was just worried about bugs, I have a mountain of saddles, capes, and assorted dead animal bits piled high in the tying room. Cheers...

Yeah, dude, it's terrible to tie when you've had that stuff, the flash materials get terribly distracting ;) hahahaha