Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Dreaded Hatches

Sometimes you think you have hit perfect conditions when you hit the water, then you see what is hatching and your heart sinks, and hopes fail. What would be the hatch that does this for you? I don't mean by making your life a misery by biting or stinging, but just ruins the fishing for you.

For me it is the Yellow May Dun. It isn't a common fly here in the UK. When I fished the R.Ribble in northern England there where significant hatches. It is usual to see only a few of these flies and the fish to concentrate on something else. Not so on the Ribble. They hatch in just large enough quantities to preoccupy the trout. Despite tying every imitation I can find, and studying the fishing methods for them, I've never caught on one. These flies, Heptagenia sulphurea, emerge from their nymph on the river bed and "swim" to the surface, then take to the air almost immediately. If they are about I hope that there is some other fly hatching in much larger numbers to get the trout off them.

There is another that is the Canis. These hatch in such large quantities that the trout just swim around with their mouth open. They look like smoke coming off the water. If I hit one of these hatches I usually just go home!

What is your nemesis hatch?

Cheers,

C.

The canis has to be #1 but there was one occasion where over 2 days the bay I was fishing was covered in so many different items of insect life, at least 7 aquatic and 5 terrestrial and the fish would not come to any pattern 2 of us fished. I spent an hour catching as many insects off the top in my fine mess net and we tried to imitate all, then tried over sized, undersized, flashy, dull, eventually going to wets. All to no joy while the trout still sipped all about us. That was the very most frustrating 48hours of my fishing life to date.

Y'all have to go to Cherokee in NC and fish the Indian Reservation water behind the tourist stores. I went with wife and was told that I could fish while she shops. I am fishing, and catching and here come a large hatch of rubber tubber flies. I curse loudly to myself and think the day is ruined. I watch a guy upstream wave all five fingers at them instead of the one you would think he should use and immediately starts fishing again. I holler up, "Hey doesn't that end it for a good while?". He tells me that there are so many tubbers it doesn't bother the fish, they are used to them. Well a couple hours latter, 27 nice bikinis, had two sodas given to me (I was offered beers, but I don't drink) $87.50 (the approximate wife cost of the said shopping), and about 15 trout, I was done fishing. I had takes when tubbers were going through the hole, some of the tubbers would tell me that there were trout lined up "right here". It is funny how I could scuff a rock and the fish scatter but my Brittany swimming or these tubbers didn't bother anything.

My most unfavorite hatch is guides both in and out of drift boats that feel the own the river because they are working. In the Salmon River I have had them come up and tell me that they always fish this hole and that I have to move or they will fish it anyways. The Douglaston area now tells you that you have to move for a guide. I don't fish there anymore.

Y'all have to go to Cherokee in NC and fish the Indian Reservation water behind the tourist stores. I went with wife and was told that I could fish while she shops. I am fishing, and catching and here come a large hatch of rubber tubber flies. I curse loudly to myself and think the day is ruined. I watch a guy upstream wave all five fingers at them instead of the one you would think he should use and immediately starts fishing again. I holler up, "Hey doesn't that end it for a good while?". He tells me that there are so many tubbers it doesn't bother the fish, they are used to them. Well a couple hours latter, 27 nice bikinis, two soda (I was offered beers, but I don't drink) $87.50 (the approximate wife cost), and about 15 trout, I was done fishing. I had takes when tubbers were going through the hole.

My most unfavorite hatch is guides both in and out of drift boats that feel the own the river because they are working. In the Salmon River I have had them come up and tell me that they always fish this hole and that I have to move or they will fish it anyways. The Douglaston area now tells you that you have to move for a guide. I don't fish there anymore.

You should see all the tubbers on the Davidson River, NC near the campground. Its kind of funny, when you see a tuber come by you can soemtimes cast so your nymph is right under them and sometimes get a fish.

Y'all have to go to Cherokee in NC and fish the Indian Reservation water behind the tourist stores. I went with wife and was told that I could fish while she shops. I am fishing, and catching and here come a large hatch of rubber tubber flies. I curse loudly to myself and think the day is ruined. I watch a guy upstream wave all five fingers at them instead of the one you would think he should use and immediately starts fishing again. I holler up, "Hey doesn't that end it for a good while?". He tells me that there are so many tubbers it doesn't bother the fish, they are used to them. Well a couple hours latter, 27 nice bikinis, two soda (I was offered beers, but I don't drink) $87.50 (the approximate wife cost), and about 15 trout, I was done fishing. I had takes when tubbers were going through the hole.

You should see all the tubbers on the Davidson River, NC near the campground. Its kind of funny, when you see a tuber come by you can soemtimes cast so your nymph is right under them and sometimes get a fish.

Yes why is that we have to wade like a stealth bomber in that river to catch elusive trout and the tubbers don't matter. There are even more tubbers in the Cherokee. You are fishing behind a row of stores people walking by, tubbers going by and the fishing is good. Land your line too hard or miscast and the fish scatter. Go figure. I forgot about the Davidson tubbers.

I used to call it the ALCOA Hatch when I fished the South Branch of the Au Sable just north of Roscommon Michigan.

I have no idea why yall can catch fish with the tubers in the Rifle the first sight of bright yellow or orange and the trout scatter to the 4 corners of the earth now the canoers in the early spring they just don't go around you they have ran right into me while I was fighting a fish

I hate it when the canoe/yak/tuber/raft hatch is coming off. otherwise the rest are great !!

The bikini hatch on the 'Luftee is definitely better than the one on the Davidson! I agree, though, that the fish in either stream don't pay much attention to tubers. You do have to stay back from the main channel, though, or they will run into you.

Midge hatches are my nemesis. Normally, when there isn't a specific hatch, I can do pretty good with a midge dropper, but when the fish are actually feeding on midges, you've got to match the size, shape, color and emerging behavior of the natural, and, of course, you can't actually see them, so you aren't sure which midge they are feeding on.

A few weeks ago I was on the big wood and I thought the drakes would be hatching, but just my luck there were drakes just sitting in the trees doing nothing and the gosh darn stones were falling.