Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Favorite Streamers for BIG trout

I have been reading a number of threads on here about various streamers and streamer fishing. What are your favorite streamers for bigger trout and would you be willing to share your favorite techniques for fishing them? Also and tying advice or techniques would be awesome too!

Thanks everyone!

Hard to beat a BIG black woolly bugger or leech pattern. Also zonkers and sculpins. (I'm talking sizes 2-6; tying instructions are easy to find online) Fish them slowly, right on the bottom. The big boys come out to play when the light is low - either at night or on dark, stormy days. The worse the weather, the better. When you're consciously looking for big fish, you won't find a lot of action, but when you do, it's gonna be something to write home about. Scouting the water ahead of time is just as important as fly pattern. The stream has to be big enough to support enough forage to keep a big trout fed. Look for holes with a lot of cover, places where a big fish can lie low and kick the snot out of anything that comes along. If a pool looks really good and there don't seem to be a lot of small fish around, that's a good place to work over. Above all, take your time, be patient, and don't spook anything. And be persistent. I bagged my biggest wild brown in the middle of a city of 130,000 people. I found a great-looking deep hole that always seemed to be barren of the planted rainbows that were everywhere else on that river. I kept coming back until I nailed him. If you know that there have been browns stocked in a healthy river for some time, chances are, there are a few that have evaded capture and grown big. They're wary and tough to catch, but tying into one of them can make your season.

to this day my all time slayer for big browns is the black ghost i get extra heavy thick hooks to get it down faster dont use marabou use the classic hackle feathers. :rolleyes:

to this day my all time slayer for big browns is the black ghost i get extra heavy thick hooks to get it down faster dont use marabou use the classic hackle feathers. :rolleyes:

Druce, I've also had some pretty good luck tying the black ghost as a deceiver - also, supervisor, grey ghost, and some other classic streamer patterns. I don't use a full collar, so the body materials are visible - just a pinch of calftail top and bottom.

Druce, I've also had some pretty good luck tying the black ghost as a deceiver - also, supervisor, grey ghost, and some other classic streamer patterns. I don't use a full collar, so the body materials are visible - just a pinch of calftail top and bottom.

good to hear im not alone on the classics :P i swear the fish can tell if your hackle feather wing isnt tied tight and flat, they will wait untill you throw that perfect one that took you like 5 re-ties to get the wing right.

My go to flies are articulated. Fished on a sink tip if there unweighted. Sizes 4 to 1. Most of mine are wool/dubbed type heads. I'm not fond of deer hair when I want to keep it down. I just tied a Meal Ticket Tube. It swims well.

Kevin

My favorite is # 6 ,tungsten bead headed black wooley bugger with a few mylar threads.

Fished in a style called the "Androscoggin wiggle"...meaning hand over hand stripped wiwhile shaking the rod tip vertically about 2 or 3inches

im with EASTERN FLY articulation of huge flies & a 300gr. line

i love 3d eyes with materials that really move so it looks alive.

i like high water & nasty weather.

I like all of the suggestions this far, but as of this year my favorite streamer for meat-eating behemoth trouts is McDonough's Slap-N-Tickle in Tan. It has been a good friend to me this year, very good.

that looks like an all around fish slayer man just add that "Androscoggin wiggle" and your set! Might I add that grey zonkers with silver or black mylar bodies work great I find if you weight it in the center of the hook it hovers instead of diving I paint eyes on too

Bucktails... Mickey Finns and Black-nosed Dace in sizes 2 and 4, either single or in tandem with a stinger hook.

Sculpin heads on an articulated shank, small, medium or large depending, bunny strip body with sparse flash on both sides, and a siwash hook.

For the bucktails, the key seems to be "less is more" as far as the amount of hair used. I had precisely 9 hairs on one fly and it was hit more than any other fly in the same pattern. And always paint on eyes before coating the head with whatever you use.

Last but not least, Rule Number 1 for big browns... ... wait until dark!