Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KayTs Flies

Advice on Streamers

KayT ... I like those flies. I am with agn, that fire tiger pattern should be a killer.

I do have a question about streamers, though. I am just starting to look into tying some, and I have a problem. The water I usually fish is weedy and worst. filled with laydowns and stumps at best. Rarely am I fishing open water.

Has any one tied streamers to swim hook up? I've tied a few "carp flies" so named because I first saw them on a carp fishing thread. The hair tuft is tied to cover the hook point and make the lure fall to the bottom hook point up. I am thinking of tying streamer patterns to do the same thing. Tie all the fur and flash with the hook in the vise point up.

I am pretty sure I am not thinking of anything new or innovative, so ... what problem am I getting ready to cause for myself?

KayT ... I like those flies. I am with agn, that fire tiger pattern should be a killer.

I do have a question about streamers, though. I am just starting to look into tying some, and I have a problem. The water I usually fish is weedy and worst. filled with laydowns and stumps at best. Rarely am I fishing open water.

Has any one tied streamers to swim hook up? I've tied a few "carp flies" so named because I first saw them on a carp fishing thread. The hair tuft is tied to cover the hook point and make the lure fall to the bottom hook point up. I am thinking of tying streamer patterns to do the same thing. Tie all the fur and flash with the hook in the vise point up.

I am pretty sure I am not thinking of anything new or innovative, so ... what problem am I getting ready to cause for myself?

Clouser Minnows swim hook up

Bendbacks ride hook up and are great for minimizing hang ups and snags

Usually if you tie with a pair of barbell eyes on top of the hook shank it will flip the fly over and ride with the hook point up, or you can always do a weed guard out of like 20-30# mono

Most likely no problem at all. Just tie a couple upside down and give 'em a try. A lot of shad flies are tied that way, and they work fine. Once you start adding dumbbell eyes, they'll have to be heavy enough to flip the fly and the action will be altered, which may or may not be a good thing in shallow water. If you still don't like them, then you might want to try bendback style. Check out the flies the southern guys use for reds and trout on the grass beds.

Thank you, people, for the responses. I started looking around at fly styles and recipes and I realized that the small flies I've been calling "carp flies" were just mini clousers. They are as full as a clouser, but they sink hook up, eyes on the "top" of the hook, which becomes the bottom when it's sinking, etc. So, I am following all your advices without knowing it.

Look at bass worm hooks. Tye a streamer on the bend with the hook point up. Craft fur, bucktail and even a deceiver style all work great.

mikechell, try adding a mono weed guard...30 - 40 lbs ..strong enough to lift the fly over obstructions but easy enough for a fish to bite through...

Murray

You can buy craft fur just about anywhere - check out the craft/fabric/art stores. Maybe even Walmart. Extra Select Craft Fur is a little longer - you may have to get that from a fly tying retailer like J. Stockard.