Fly Tying

Come south and catch a snook and you'll see why they have a following that resembles a cult.

After seeing his pictures I'm thinking my bucket wish list place may be Laxi's backyard

The only fish left in my bucket list is a bluefin tuna on the fly. In the process of designing a rod to handle one up to 500 lbs that I can fit in a stand up harness. I've lost my ever loving mind! My rod builder who is a member here thinks I'm crazy. He may be right!

A shark or from an article I read in Fish Alaska magazine last year, a halibut.

A halibut on a fly rod!!!! Holy cow, now that would be an epic fish to catch. I don't know how that would work though being that they are at the bottom of the ocean. I have caught a few halibut as a kid growing up in Alaska but nothing close to a standard fly rod set up that I am used to.

Steve, (Midwest Custom Fly Rods) if you can build it, I'll strap myself to it! And yes, both health and life insurance policies are current. Lol

Steve, (Midwest Custom Fly Rods) if you can build it, I'll strap myself to it! And yes, both health and life insurance policies are current. Lol

So long as subailor618 and Nightheron film the attempt. I haven't seen a really funny vid since the two russians with a grenade. :blink: I still can't quite cope with the thought of all that lead core fly line to get a halibut :blink: :blink:

GoPro will definitely be there for the tuna! I suspect if I land that bluefin I'll be able to use my right arm to clip my toenails without having to bend over. Nightheron...5' 9", Nightherons right arm...6' 3".

The only fish left in my bucket list is a bluefin tuna on the fly. In the process of designing a rod to handle one up to 500 lbs that I can fit in a stand up harness. I've lost my ever loving mind! My rod builder who is a member here thinks I'm crazy. He may be right!

Yep, you're definitely nuts. Just goes to show ya what three months in the Tennessee sun without a hat can do to sensitive brain cells. Lots of guys target BFT on the fly, but if you're after a 500-pounder, you'd better buy a return plane ticket from Portugal, because that's where you're gonna end up. It might also behoove you to go down to the library and borrow a copy of Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." That's the best example I can think of of what happens to an angler who bites off more than he can chew. :D I know that Kris Jop, a guide up on the Cape got an 80-pounder on a fly, but it took him something like five hours to get it to the boat. If you decide to do it, I'll be happy to go along to do the photography. I can't speak much Portuguese, but I'll have plenty of time to learn the language on the way over.

For me it is not a long list and I am hoping to remove some of them in the next year.

Marlin and Sailfish in the Bahamas planning on March time frame.

Peacock Bass in South America doing that in November.

Rooster Fish

Mahi-Mahi

Tarpon

50"+ pike in remote Alaska, 15 lb peacocks in Brazil, small mouth in the Boundry Waters, New Zealand browns, any trout in Chile, Patagonia, Argentina, Dorado in Argentina.....all on a fly rod, of course

If you havent given it much thought before, think again. Dorado. I have caught these up to about 34lbs and at times its like trying to stop a freight train with...well with tippet material...

Skip to 4:20 to see the action start.